A question regarding air and tweaking.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whlago

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2011
NW Connecticut
Hello all you efficient burners out there! I have a question about draft and it's relation with combustion air. I will explain the world (inside the stove) as I see it and would appreciate hearing whether I am full of baloney or correct in my assumptions:

The draft controls the volume of air allowed through the system. Not having a maganhelic gauge at the moment I can only guess at whether or not the draft is set correctly based on my visual of the flame. On my stove I have a tweaking mechanism for combustion air (setting possibility's 1-5) that I can adjust and makes a notable difference in the health of the flame.

Am I correct in assuming that (for various pellets and heat settings) if I can adjust my combustion air such that the lower limit will give me a flame that is too short and brisk and the upper limit will give me a flame that is too tall and lazy (the assumption being that the perfect flame at a setting somewhere in between) that there is no need to do anything to the draft? In other words is the combustion air setting a way to tweak the draft within the limits of the combustion blower?

Can you tell I really don't want to mess with the draft setting?

I have found that there are many variables that effect the quality of the flame; the pellets, the condition of the burn pot, the amount of ash collected in the ash traps and vent chambers, the auger settings, even source of the draft.

I can be a bit AR about the flame and the draft adjustments to the point of Zen like dedication to efficiency, constantly seeking the perfect flame.

Not really, but I have learned to intuitively tweak the draft to get a good flame and keep a good flame.

There just is no "set it and forget it" mode with pellet stoves. At least not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.