A Radiator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliot

Jan 12, 2007
Hello again everyone. As you may recall we plan on (hopefully) building this summer and I am attempting to get as much information on wood boilers and radiant floor heat as possible. So... here is the question: Where I work, at one time was actually a very large home, then small offices (around 10,000 sq. ft. built in 1929). The company I work for purchased the building and remodeled taking out all the old radiators. Now, sitting out back are 8 small radiators (2 foot by maybe 2 foot high) and one large 8 foot by 2 foot high old fashioned radiator, which I know worked up to last year. They are going to the dump next month. The smaller ones aren't that heavy... maybe 150 lbs. each. The large one, I don't even want to guess. If I am going to put radiant heat into the home we build, would these radiators have any benefit? dumb idea? too much work? What do you all think...suggestions? They do look really cool and they are free.

Thanks.

Elliot

My inlaws and I have been heating our homes with the old fashion radiators for the past 6 years. there home is a 2000 sf house new construction, not including the full basement.They use 2 radiators (one 2'x8' and one 30"x4') placed in the basement to heat the first story and in floor radiant heat (1 run of 1/2" pex every 16") in 2nd floor. I am in the old 55"trailer (tough times) with 6 old radiators(2'x4',2'x2',2'x2',2'x6',2'",3'").Both places stay at 72+ when it gets below 0. I have to run two small box fans on low in a couple of rooms in the poorly insulated (2"x3"walls) trailer to keep above 70. So yes the old radiators although a little bulky work well .

If you're building new, I'd really suggest sticking with your radiant floor idea. It's much better.

But I would try to find out what your local market for used radiators is like. Around here, they tend to sell pretty well if they're in decent condition, since folks like them when they have "period" houses and want to keep that look. Taking them to the dump seems like a waste.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.