A record high last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caber

Feb 6, 2008
Western Maryland
For inside the house. 86.5 degrees in the living room where the thermometer is. Probably in the 90s where the wood stove is.

I was preparing for a very cold overnite. Had my early fire warming things up, then at 10pm I raked it and tossed in some good hardwoods. Not a lot, just 4 medium splits. Set it cruising and went to bed. Wife came up around 12:30 and opened a window in the bedroom. I checked downstairs and there it was - 86+ degrees and the fire was already on its way to burning out. So I let it go out figuring it must not be getting as cold as the weatherman said. Well, the outside temps really dropped a couple hours later into the teens and when I got up at 6, the house was down at 70. Should have tossed in a couple more logs.

Kinda cool to know we can get the house that warm. And even better that it didn't cost us but a couple cents to do it.

holy smokes!!! 86.5 inside a house... that's comfortable?? I'd be happy with the 70 degrees you found at 6am!!

Adios Pantalones said:
I get uncomfortable when it gets over 70- but just like building up speed before you hit a hill on a bicycle, I will crank up the stove before a zero F night (that's cold-cold here.)

i do as well... especially when sleeping! i'd rather have to bundle up under blankets than take blankets off.

Usually I like to have downstairs hitting 80 as a high overnight. That seems to give it the impetus needed to be around 70-72 when I wake up. 86 was uncomfortable, even upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.