A Review of DIY spray Foam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I had a 24' by 8' high wall that I was reinsulating at home that I wanted to air seal with foam. It was a small job for a contractor and would have been expensive so I sprayed it myself. I bought mine from Foam it Green but there are several manufactures on the internet. Overall it worked out well although I did learn some things. I sealed the exterior wall with about 1 to 2" of foam while the remainder of the 6" stud cavity was filled with the fiberglass I had removed. I also installed 1/2" of ISO foam board across the interior face of the wall and then plant to sheetrock after taping off the joints on the iso board.

The kit I bought had gloves, tyvek suit, googles and lots of spare nozzles. It sprayed real well and developed a relatively smooth surface for the first 2/3rds of the tanks. After that it got real "chunky" like spraying chunks of popcorn, so the resultant surface looked very rough. It was okay in a wall cavity but wouldnt be acceptable to me for something in view. I had more foam than I thought and didnt want to try to store it, so I did try some deeper sections of foam and did confirm that the reaction is exothermic and spraying much more than 4" wasnt good due to the heat generated. I also suspect that the foam "works" more in thick sections and in one or two spots it shrunk a bit and pulled away from the wall in the cavity.

One thing I confirmed is to cover everything in the area due to potential backscatter and overspray. I also urge anyone to wear the safety gear, I had a chemical/organic half mask respirator with a hepa filter on and would urge others to do the same as there are fumes when sprayed but they disapate rapidly.

The other item to note is that there is a lot of waste to get rid of when done including two small dot steel cannisters and a hose assembly.

Given this experience I will probably do my own sills unless a contractor moves into the area, but will try to plan that the areas that are visible will be sprayed first, I will probably fill the joist pockets afterward and finish with fiberglass to hide the rough stuff at the end of the tanks.

Thanks for the review Bagger - I have looked as some of that stuff also, for the sills in my basement. Sounds like it will do the trick, as my basement is not a living area at all.

How did the yields stack up against the claimed yields by the manufacturer. I want to do the same thing in my basement but I am waiting till the price comes down.

The estimated yield for the 202 kit was 200 board feet. I sprayed about 180 square feet of wall with two windows and went well over one inch in depth. Overall I expect I got the stated yield with some extra, but the extra was mostly the "popcorn" and there was some liquid left in the tanks when the ratio started drifting.

I dont think the price will drop appreciably, the kits include two steel tanks and hoses that are throw away when done. The actual foam is petroleum based so it will track the price of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.