A Ruined Dog

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrcr56

Sep 8, 2006
Last spring we had a couple of birds that flew down the stove pipe and ended up in the stove (earlier thread about "bird in the stove"). All summer long the dog would look in inside, around and under the stove and now that we are finally burning, this is what he does the entire time the stove is running. I guess he is waiting for birds to fly out of the stove again!

Attachments

• DSC01000.jpg
    DSC01000.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,045
Here's another one.

Attachments

• DSC01002.jpg
    DSC01002.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 4,370
We often don't give dogs enough credit;he may be just enjoying the secondary flames and thinking of ways to increase your burntime.BTW, is that a Dachsund?You might have to get him some eyedrops if he's gonna park it there all season. :p

One thing I have learned about Dachshunds, they are tenacious and hard headed, he'll probably be parked there all winter. Last winter he was always there but at least he was stretched out asleep.

So what is with the pad/mat under the stove? The enamel looks really good. I thought it was a heritage until I looked closely. My cat just discovered that the floor right where your doxy is setting is the warmest spot in the house.

Maybe he took a couple "hits" and is just spacing the flames man. Like tripindicular ;)

Put a pair of 3-d glasses on him and see if he trips out. :coolgrin:

He reminds me of my wife's cat squatted on his butt in the outside door of my office plotting what he would do to all of those birds out there if that screen door wasn't in the way.

High beam, the stove is a homestead with the heat shield under it. Last spring when those birds were in the stove and they got out in the house he went berserk! thought he was gonna seize up for sure.

I'll trade you. My dog lays flat infront of the stove, but has a nasty habit of catching a killing birds and rabbits in the back yard :shut:

Sounds like you need a visit from the Dog Whisperer - tssst - tssst! Maybe if you let him in that stove so he can sniff around and satisfy his curiousity?

tutu_sue said:
Sounds like you need a visit from the Dog Whisperer - tssst - tssst! Maybe if you let him in that stove so he can sniff around and satisfy his curiousity?
Make sure the coals are cool and the fire is out though or it really would be a ......Hot dog........ sorry :-/

We already let him nose around inside, told him no birds, see no birds. So started a fire this morning, and whats he do, stares at the fire, He's tweaked, ruined I tell ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.