A small compost site score, but this will get interesting!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Was up at the local compost site today as I had 4 pieces of Apple that I wanted to cut down to 18", basically something to do as next week the old Bronco will be in the shop getting some much needed body work done. But I was cutting and the guy who was on duty comes by in the payloader and says to me "there's more wood in the back (wooded area); I'm going to haul it out here. If you want to take a look at it and go back there and get some I'll show you where it is" :) Ha ha, right place, right time! So I went and looked at it, and could actually cherry pick and take what I wanted, mostly Hickory, not real big but it all adds up, and as I was cutting my saw ran out of gas...I thought I had more in it, and like I said was only planning on making 4 cuts, so it was a good thing as I went home and put on long pants and a long shirt since I was a little bit in the woods with just shorts and no shirt. But here's the interesting thing; he told me as have several other workers up there that this wood was put back there by some of the workers who do this every year, store it, say "we're going to use it, don't worry", they never take the time to harvest it and it usually ends up in the chipper, so this guy said "they've had their chance, we're tired of looking at it, take what you want and the rest I'm putting in the pile for the public!" So I got about 30 pieces mainly pretty fresh Hickory, left the Walnut and Cherry that were there that was drier so someone could use it this season yet although I wouldn't feel comfortable with that but if split now should be dry enough but that's not my problem, but this is going to be very interesting when these guys see that he put it out for the public to take. If I didn't take it you know someone else would, and it's probably almost gone already, but these guys procrastinate every year so maybe it'll teach them a lesson. Funny thing is I know one guy, saw him a few months back, and he says to me "I need firewood...." and I told him "look around, it's there", but I guess it's too much WORK to harvest it; and he'll probably be the FIRST GUY to start crying that this guy put it out for anyone to take!

HA!!!! ;lol :) :cool: :p ::-)

Reactions: D8Chumley
Ya snooze ya lose right?

That's basically what they are telling these guys. This is the first time though that anyone is doing something about it; other years they just let it slide and ended up chipping it up. This guy is the first guy that actually is doing something about it-maybe he had a fight with one or more of the other guys and figures "take this"!

Ha! Literally, "Take this!". The guy told you to take it - what other choice did you have? :)

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Was up at the local compost site today as I had 4 pieces of Apple that I wanted to cut down to 18"

We don't have composite sites where I live that are open to the public for picking. Can you explain why you where taking wood to the site?. Sounds like you took your wood to the site to cut it down to 18", but why wouldn't you do that at home?

But other than that, congrats on a great day!

We have one here in my township, they take branches, tree parts, etc and they rent a tub grinder a few times a year to grind it into mulch. The mulch is free for anyone in the township with proof of address. Saves me a few hundred on mulch a year. Only drawback, you have to load it yourself. It doesn't take too long with an insulage fork though We can take wood from there also for burning, helps to have a buddy working for my township

Small scores add up.

I have a guy who has tons of pine, but he also takes down locust, pear, cherry, etc. I go up there every once in a while for a trailer or 2 of pine, and usually end up with a dozen or so assorted rounds of hardwood, too. I've managed about a cord of just BL out of this, that I reckon should be ready for 16/17.

We don't have composite sites where I live that are open to the public for picking. Can you explain why you where taking wood to the site?. Sounds like you took your wood to the site to cut it down to 18", but why wouldn't you do that at home?

But other than that, congrats on a great day!

I'd rather make the mess up there, plus it gives me a chance to see if there are any more scores to be had, and yesterday the answer was "yes"! Plus we live close to our neighbors and I don't want to crank them up with the saw noise!

Reactions: Longstreet
We have one here in my township, they take branches, tree parts, etc and they rent a tub grinder a few times a year to grind it into mulch. The mulch is free for anyone in the township with proof of address. Saves me a few hundred on mulch a year. Only drawback, you have to load it yourself. It doesn't take too long with an insulage fork though We can take wood from there also for burning, helps to have a buddy working for my township

Sounds just like ours here in Emmaus....

Maybe that'll be the kick in the pants they need lol. But it's kinda late for getting this years wood ready

But it's kinda late for getting this years wood ready

To you and me, yes.....to these idiots, no, it's still "early" _g :eek:

The Cherry and Walnut that I left there if you split it NOW looks like it would be ready in time, but I certainly would not feel comfortable doing that now!

I'd rather make the mess up there, plus it gives me a chance to see if there are any more scores to be had, and yesterday the answer was "yes"! Plus we live close to our neighbors and I don't want to crank them up with the saw noise!

Whatre they going to do about it when your holding a chainsaw in hand?

That's always been my thought process. Unless they come outside wielding a gun or aim a catapult at me I'm pretty clear to do whatever I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.