1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

A splitter the size of a weed whacker?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Jon1270, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've been proceeding on the assumption that I'll never have room for a hydraulic splitter on my little suburban property, but an unusual little machine showed up on Craigslist, and I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it. The small motor must impose speed limitations if nothing else, but I have no experience with hydraulics of any kind so I'm out of my depth.

splitter.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Looks like the remains of a modded Lickety Splitter or maybe a homemade job
  3. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    Definitely looks like a home made jobber. The motor looks awfully close to the size of the weed wacker motor too. I don't see any hydraulic lines, I don't see a oil resevoir or a handle to engage pressure.
  4. Michael Golden

Michael Golden Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Looks like the oil reservoir is in the beam I think I see a cap at the end? It would be heavy to move around!
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

That is slick. Although, now we need more pics!! And an update on how it splits.
  6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    I'm sure the cycle time is horrendously long!! Unless the xyl is tiny then it will have like a 4 ton capacity.
  7. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Here's another pic, and a link to the ad. I can't speak to how well it splits because I haven't been out to see it, and apparently the recoil needs a bit of work. He's selling it with the weed whacker because he couldn't find parts for the splitter motor and intended to swap in the WW motor.

splitter2.jpg