A sweet 036 PRO for my CAD collection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StihlHead

So going back to my more serious CAD after buying that stray $20 J-red saw (which runs perfectly BTW). I have been looking for an 034 Super for about a year now, but they are few and far between, and most are beaters for way too much money. A good 036 or 360 was also an option (pretty much the same saw), and I was in the right place and time the other day to pick up this gem:

036.jpg

It came with the case and 5 full skip RSF loops, the original scrench and owners manual. Cost me 3 Ben Franklins and one US Grant. He wanted 4 Bens, but accepted my offer. He said he had 6 more people interested, but he wanted it to go to someone that would take care of it.

036 2.jpg

Its a mid-series one-owner model. My guess is that it has less than 30 hours on it. The 25 inch ES bar is the only one it has had, and has never been flipped. The bar top has virgin rails. The bar code sticker in front is still in perfect condition, and just has a few resin flecks on it. The white dot can still be seen on the muffler. This thing is clean. I pulled the plug before I bought it and the exhaust port is nice and smooth. I replaced the plug with a new NGK after running it at WOT in the wood for a minute, and it was even and tan. So it was and is tuned right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice

Yah, at first I bought it figuring I would keep the loops and case, put on an older 25 inch bar and flip it for 4 bills (or even more, these are like gold around here and typically sell for more than 361s do). But... its a sweet running saw. Damn CAD... I was just whittling my collection down again. But... saws are as good as money in the bank.

Very nice ..i got a Ms 362 last week for $ 200.00

You seem to be picking saws up for dirt there. You sure they are not 5 finger discounted?

362s are not very well respected here and usually sell for less than 361s, which go for less than 036/360s, which are the gold standard in 60cc saws locally. Its highly varied though.

You seem to be picking saws up for dirt there. You sure they are not 5 finger discounted?

362s are not very well respected here and usually sell for less than 361s, which go for less than 036/360s, which are the gold standard in 60cc saws locally. Its highly varied though.

I would'nt buy a 5 fingered discount saw ... Stilhead . I got the 044 from an Old timer . I actually tried to give him more but he would'nt take it . I had to replace the spark plug air filter , also added a new bar and chain.
The 362 i offered the guy 200 and he took it . he statred at 300. He bought the saw from a guy for 100.00 not running ..said he totally had to Tune it and flush the old gas out ...

Ive fired up the 362 ..hav'nt put it in the wood yet ..i Hesitated to buy it . Had a 361 and was'nt really impressed honestly

wow. These are the posts that make me click on CL. Then all I see is beat to death farm bosses for "$295 firm" :mad:

wow. These are the posts that make me click on CL. Then all I see is beat to death farm bosses for "$295 firm" :mad:

Yah, we get the old 290 listings for $300 here too. Today there is a trashed 170 listed for $190 (they sold new for that). And a lot of beaters listed by the pawn shops. The good ones on CL go in a matter of hours though. I miss out on 90% of them. Never know when I will find a saw though, and not only on CL. I got a great condition J-red 535 for $20 at the local ReStore (Habitat for Humanity). I got a barely broken-in 310 at a local pawn shop of all places, for $195. This one was a fluke, and I was the first to reply on it 5 minutes after it was listed. The seller was by my brother's place, where I was headed that afternoon anyway.

Ive fired up the 362 ..hav'nt put it in the wood yet ..i Hesitated to buy it . Had a 361 and was'nt really impressed honestly

Well, if you did not like the 361, the 362 is not likely to impress you either. Nor is an 034 Super/036/360. They are all about 4.5 HP.

I like the 50-60cc saws myself. Good size for falling, bucking and noodling the average trees and firewood around here. Running 70cc saws all day really wears me out. For most people here, a 60cc saw is bigger than they have run, really. Often times when I show up to scrounge arborist wood off of CL, I am the only one with a chainsaw noodling the big rounds. Usually I have a 361 with a 25 inch bar and full skip. Guys show up with mauls and axes, or they try to lift 300 pound rounds and overload PU trucks. Or they want the arborists to split the rounds and they decline, pointing at me. I have had two arborist businesses though, and I know how to process wood and fast. I have been offered clean up access by several arborists, but I do not want to process that much wood, nor do I want to sell firewood. Also a lot of it is cottonwood and poplar, or tree of hell.

036 is my favorite. Period.

361 ain't bad? But I like the 036 better. AV isn't as good, but overall power is much better. IMO

image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: StihlHead
Nice photos there. The fleet of 036s there is like my old fleet of 361s. I sold them off for a high price. I have not done any 361 to 036 cutting comparisons yet.

Saw an 034 Super here today advertised with no bar or loops and a lot of miles on it for $350. That is pretty typical here.

I was the first to reply on it 5 minutes after it was listed. The seller was by my brother's place, where I was headed that afternoon anyway.

images.jpg

Reactions: StihlHead
Status
Not open for further replies.