A synthetic leaf could lead to solar storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Interesting stuff coming out of the Nocera Lab at MIT. It's early, but is showing some nice potential already. Tie this together with a fuel cell and you have the potential for 24/7 electricity.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/72156.html

I hope this is legit!

Yeah, we'll look back and say "I can't believe we used to burn that!"

As much as I love burning wood I'd gladly give it up.

Awesome. Storage is one of the obvious issues. I loved that they quoted Sabbath: "Soon the World Will Love You, Sweet Leaf "

Our main campus also has a couple of other solar advances that I want to see commercialized. Anti-glare technology, and a method to collect photons at the edge of the panel- efficiency would be increased by reducing scattering/reflection losses- supposedly doubling efficiency.

I read about the edge collection technology last year. Has anything come of this?

I think it will take a couple/few years to develop the production process. Plus- there's licensing issues, IP, etc to deal with.

I dunno, but I hope it's real. A couple innovations like these and solar could be real (makes economic sense without subsidy) in a few years.

At 76% efficiency is unreal, but how much is 10 mili amps? A sq. centimeter is 10 miliamps. How big would the leaf have to be to power a home of 1000 watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.