A Taste of Winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

Sad, really, when -8 °F WCF rates as the second cold blast, and it happens in the first week of January. Even so, pine slab was not going to make it, so it was a weekend 'getting wood'.Having pulled out a bit of Aspen blow-down, I was relieved to get some maple. You can see from the heart near the base why it blew down.
Grabbed a few rounds of the Maple, plus some Red Oak and some Ash, after dragging the Ash and Maple to the stage.

That was last week... this weekend was some smaller Ash and Oak scroungings. The woods are getting Incredibly wet... I decided not to go back to this area until I canbe sure to get in and back out before sundown.

Looks like the winds will bring us about 1/2 foot of lake effect .. . Syracuse may get two feet!!

yesterday. more snow since.still snowing

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 418
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
That was last week...

Good to see that perty shiny machine gets some mud on it once and a while.

The folks on the Tug benefited from this one but they say the wind is going to clock around and make it look a little more normal around here the rest of the week. Looks like the party might be over.

Love the pictures... especially the tractor ones!

SolarAndWood said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
That was last week...

Good to see that perty shiny machine gets some mud on it once and a while.

The folks on the Tug benefited from this one but they say the wind is going to clock around and make it look a little more normal around here the rest of the week. Looks like the party might be over.
Nice rig ICDBTU!!!!
We got about 8" overnight. A town 13 miles north of here got 20+".
On tap for 10-16" tonight sez the weather man.
I've got one more basket of shoulder season/lumber cutoffs in the mill that I think will wait till spring. The main stash and the big furnace is gonna get tapped tomorrow. Wished I wood have got on the roof and removed the bucket from the furnace chimney yesterday when there was no snow.
To think that last year at this time I was through all the shoulder wood and half way through my main stash but as of now I haven't touched my main shed supply is hard to believe.
Friday I'm runnin 80 miles south to pick up 20 ton of coal. There may be alot of wood left in the shed come spring!!!!!

inevitabLEE said:
To think that last year at this time I was through all the shoulder wood and half way through my main stash

lol, last year my shoulder wood was under 6' of snow during shoulder season. This year I put it under a roof and we get nothing.

Nice work Deadbtus. Nice $*$&ing; tractor. I am really jealous. :lol: I am going to buy a nice used 4wd with a loader some day when I can afford it. Man would that save a lot of work. Do you have a set of forks for the loader?

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Sad, really, when -8 °F WCF rates as the second cold blast, and it happens in the first week of January. Even so, pine slab was not going to make it, so it was a weekend 'getting wood'.Having pulled out a bit of Aspen blow-down, I was relieved to get some maple. You can see from the heart near the base why it blew down.

Looks like the winds will bring us about 1/2 foot of lake effect .. . Syracuse may get two feet!!

ISeeDeadBTUs, looks like your tractor makes the job just a touch easier.

Nice Job

Zap

Yes, tractor with FEL can be sweet. It can even go through some mud. Let's hope it freezes up soon, especially for you guys that get big snowfall. Probably will be several areas see not much frost this year.

ISee
With the ground still thawed & big winds headed our way, think you'll get allot more blow down?
That maple's top section looked pretty solid.
4WD tractor ?
Great "action pics" ;more than 1,000 words :)

The lake effect snow usually doesn't make it past the Anirondacks down to NNJ, but we got some last night and today.

Winter finally arrives!

Status
Not open for further replies.