A thunder storm in February! Really?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtakeman

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2008
Northwestern CT.
www.facebook.com
Sitting on the sofa last night and saw some flashes outside. I thought the neighbor's might be snapping photo's of there roof or something. Then "bang". WTF was that. It's thunder? Yep! lasted for about an hour or so as the front moved thru the area. Then the wind started to howl. Went from about 50ºF to about 20ºF in less than an hour. Weird weather were getting lately. But a thunder storm in February was just plain crazy. Back to winter this morning with windy cold weather and a dusting of some lake effect snow from the west.

I think the ground hog might have been wrong and spring might be a little late this season! Good thing I got plenty of pellets, just in case!

We had the prime set up here for that last night. Didnt happen but we have had 40mph winds for about 14 hours straight. 55 degrees during the day then blammo, cold air comes off the great lakes and..well, if it was summer, we woulda had thunderstorms comin thru. I was listening to branches bounce off my roof last night just expecting some thunder. Right now, I stare out the window at a white out of horizontal snow. Yesterday after work, I took my son out for a walk with just a shirt, jeans and flip flops.

Saw on the news this morning that two JetBlue flights approaching Logan Airport in Boston were hit by lightning! Crazy winter weather for sure.

We had a bad thunderstorm back the last time a heavy duty front moved through about two weeks ago.

Nothing like that late last night when the winds started up again.

They were calling it thunder snow on the news a couple weeks back

j-takeman said:
Sitting on the sofa last night and saw some flashes outside. I thought the neighbor's might be snapping photo's of there roof or something. Then "bang". WTF was that. It's thunder? Yep! lasted for about an hour or so as the front moved thru the area. Then the wind started to howl. Went from about 50ºF to about 20ºF in less than an hour. Weird weather were getting lately. But a thunder storm in February was just plain crazy. Back to winter this morning with windy cold weather and a dusting of some lake effect snow from the west.

I think the ground hog might have been wrong and spring might be a little late this season! Good thing I got plenty of pellets, just in case!
same thing in this part of the state. got to love new england. ill take this weather any day over tornado's in the mid west though

Was out to dinner last night and heard the noise, thought the roof was starting to collaspe!!

Like Smokey said, we had those here a couple of weeks ago. My dogs were very nervous. Barking, and leaning right up against me. I was thinking the thunder seemed louder in the winter than it does when when leaves are on.

ha! my dog bolted for the bed and tunneled under the comforter all the way to the feet and stood there till it was over.

funny with the wind. today i noticed all these plastic tubes all over the road. some 10-15 feet long.

then i realized it - the wind blew the insulation off the power lines!

Jay,

They rolled through here around 10PM last night. Sacred the bejesus out of my 7 yr old.

The dog went nuts barking. I thought a skunk or raccoon was in the trash bin. Then all of a sudden BOOM!

Went on here for about 20 minutes. Some real close ones too.

Power never blinked.

Woke up to cold outside. Glad the stove was pumping out the heat. :)

---Nailer---

Here in NW Oregon we have had a mixed bag for the last week or better.

Last Sunday we had 55F in the afternoon and then rain Monday. By mid week it was snowing and cold.

Today we started off with snow on the ground and cleared off to a nice clear 45F this afternoon.

By Monday back into the low 50's then by mid week, snow again and cold.

Sure glad to have the Stoves working good and lots of shells stocked up.

Had some thunder here a couple days ago along with nasty hail, wind and such.

Snowy

At first I thought the flashes were a navigation light from the local airport. Then the thunder came through. Lasted about an hour and we had some pretty strong strikes near the area. Then saw a dusting on the ground this morning. Definitely not normal. :)

Yes, couldn't agree more with this whacky weather pattern...It was 67 degrees in NYC on friday! Today, it won't make it out of the mid-30s. Talk about people getting sick! I actually saw people walking around with T-shirts and flip-flops! Only in NYC!

Status
Not open for further replies.