A Tisket, A Tasket, I installed a new Gasket!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Gang,

I had been whining over the past few months about the performance of my 2010 Quad 4300. Over-firing, lack of control over the burn, short burn times etc etc. an air leak was a prime suspect, and a visual inspection of the factory door rope gasket showed big gaps. A dollar bill test wasn't necessary, I could have gotten a paint stirrer in there. Anyway, following the advice of a member here, I carefully replaced the door and window gaskets. Prep work was vital as I wanted to make sure that the new gaskets sat in absolutely clean channels. Well, I did it yesterday, let the RTV cure overnight and fired her up this morning. This is a totally different stove! Wild sheets of flame rolling back and forth through the firebox, secondaries shooting out of the tubes and the fire instantly responds to adjustments in primary and secondary air. I'll give her a good workout over the next few months and plans to replace it with a blaze King Princess might just be nixed. Thanks again for the advice folks, you rock!

That's great to hear Rich! Modern stoves are all about proper air control and you just proved it..

Ray

Good job in getting it squared away. Owning a stove is more than just stuffing wood in it and hoping for the best. Every stove has nuances in it and to the casual burner, one doesn't take notice. To the more serious burners who truly want to learn as much as they can, will notice the differences.

I had a bad glass gasket that I repalced recently, and it made a difference.

fishingpol said:
Good job in getting it squared away. Owning a stove is more than just stuffing wood in it and hoping for the best. Every stove has nuances in it and to the casual burner, one doesn't take notice. To the more serious burners who truly want to learn as much as they can, will notice the differences.

I had a bad glass gasket that I repalced recently, and it made a difference.

Hi Jon,
You are right it's all about air control and I too need to replace my window gasket as I know it leaks.. Did your gasket material come with self stick on it?

Ray

Hi Ray,
The gasket was a small self-stick one that sits in a shallow channel. Easy change out. I read a post on hazy glass and it got me thinking. Sure enough, I could move the glass in the door without much effort.

Here is what it looked like. You can clearly see what points the air entered.

Attachments

• DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 288
Wow Jon you had lots of leaks! I have 2 leaks with one being worse than the other.. I need to find the black/graphite colored gasket for this stove..

Ray

I need to do the same on my 30, although the leak on mine isn't nearly that bad.

I really should let the stove cool down tomorrow morning and get it done before I miss my chance.

-SF

This thread motivated me to get off my butt and get mine fixed too. I had ordered the new gasket kit a couple weeks ago, so the materials were all on hand.

Let the stove cool down today and got-r-done.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.