A Trick That Many Of Our Members Can Probably Benefit From

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
People do this sober?

Reactions: Jags
I wish!
I don't think the yeast's Alcohol Dehydrogenase would work in the acidic environment of the stomach. Hate to be a.....

buzz kill.;lol

Relatively little alcohol is absorbed in the stomach. Once food etc passes into the duodenum and upper part of the small intestine pH rises and keeps going up as you move along. You do have a point though osage. Break down of alcohol (oxidation) by ADH forms acetaldehyde and is only the first step in the process of metabolizing alcohol. Acetaldehyde causes more problems than alcohol (flushing, nausea) and if allowed to accumulate would cause you to become ill. Another dehydrogenase is needed, then citric acid cycle finishes up not to mention all the co-factors involved. So AFAIK you need a functional organism to do all that. I'd need to see that enough yeast remain functional to make a dent in the alcohol consumed but maybe they do. Or alcohol is oxidized to acetaldehyde by yeast and liver takes over, interesting.

Reactions: osagebow
Of course, the guys from down under will appreciate that advice. I don't think vegemite will work, though. ;lol

Vegemite on toast the next morning will help though...;)

..But what I find works best if you have a big event on (like my wifes 30th this weekend) is to alternate alcoholic drinks with a water or a coke at the start...I have used this trick quite a bit to make sure you don't get caught up in the moment too early and find yourself running out of steam at 10:00PM. It also saves money,and chance of hangover.......I remember one time I was at a friends wedding and after an afternoon of drinking in the sun I hit a brick wall at around 9:00PM..I couldn't stand straight......my lovely wife helped me stuff my pockets with some savory food, pointed me in the direction of our accommodation (5 minute walk), tied the key around my neck and set me on my way...hahah...

Reactions: Grisu
I find the combination of drinking, eating and keep moving always works well. I tend to drink scotch more than beer.

I looked at my buddy once in his very inebriated state and said, "you really should order some food" his reply, "Are you crazy? Kill a $40 buzz with a $10 meal, no way"
Maybe I'll try this trick on him before we go out drinking again.

Hmmm...I find it easiest just to adjust consumption and not get to that point to begin with. If it hurts me in the morning I am mad at myself.

I only drink at home these days. Never go anywhere.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
The electronic ankle bracelet?

No, old fashion ball and chain

bronn.jpg stock-photo-businessman-lock-with-stone-ball-118677883.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hills Hoard
If it hurts me in the morning
Then you were doing it wrong ::-)

I have always preferred scotch, rye, bourbon (in that order). However, if I will be doing a considerable amount of drinking, I follow two rules.
1 - water between drinks
2 - only clear booze

Never had a headache the next morning if I follow both of those (and I have been staggering drunk with the boys).

I only drink at home these days. Never go anywhere.
I will have a drink with dinner sometimes, but never go to a bar. We will have friends over and sit and play cards and drink. The reason we bought a house with a guest bedroom is to have friends who need to stay the night :)

Status
Not open for further replies.