A trick to keep the bedrooms warmer while you sleep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
Something I found has helped keep bedroom temps 2-3* warmer while we sleep we run a humidifier in our bedroom. It helps consistently there is a difference. If we run the humidifier the room stays 2-3* warmer in the morning. With my larger insert it's not such a concern any more, but when i had a smaller insert this made a big difference. It's the difference of waking up in a bedroom that is 66* vs 63*. It makes mornings a little more comfortable. Anyone else try this?

I'm wondering if the unit is helping with heat circulation. Does the humidifier have a fan?

I'd be hesitant to run a humidifier just for extra warmth (because of condensation on the windows). I'm having trouble seeing how that would make a difference, unless the humidifier itself was generating more heat or increased circulation, or if the additional moisture increased your metabolism.

If your house is not uniformly warm from room to room, I think I'd be trying to improve circulation or figure out where I was losing heat. Covering windows w/that shrink-to-fit plastic can be an easy fix--just trying that myself on a window w/an air leak, so I am not sure how well it works yet.

Great that the larger insert is keeping you warmer now. Heat's a lovely thing, yes?

Iam wondering if you are using cool mist humidifiers or warm mist ones. The warm mist ones do make a small difference. I know from experience. I prefer the cool mist ones though when I am sleeping. If it works for you great!!

GAMMA RAY said:
Iam wondering if you are using cool mist humidifiers or warm mist ones. The warm mist ones do make a small difference. I know from experience. I prefer the cool mist ones though when I am sleeping. If it works for you great!!

Oh, sure, that would make sense.

Standard evaporation humidifiers will lower the temperature due to evaporative cooling (latent heat of evaporation), but does make it more comfortable. Humidifier must be circulating or heating air.

snowleopard said:
I'd be hesitant to run a humidifier just for extra warmth (because of condensation on the windows). I'm having trouble seeing how that would make a difference, unless the humidifier itself was generating more heat or increased circulation, or if the additional moisture increased your metabolism.

If your house is not uniformly warm from room to room, I think I'd be trying to improve circulation or figure out where I was losing heat. Covering windows w/that shrink-to-fit plastic can be an easy fix--just trying that myself on a window w/an air leak, so I am not sure how well it works yet.

Great that the larger insert is keeping you warmer now. Heat's a lovely thing, yes?
Where are you located that you have condensation problems in the winter? I could run a humidifier in every single room and still not have condensation problems.

Below zero temps can cause condensation to form on most windows even in a dry house. Add a humidifier and it gets worse.

I know of one house where the bedroom windows needed replacement after 8 years due to constant humidification with the curtains closed every night. The curtains didn't allow much heated air to circulate next to the glass and the sashes were rotting in place after 8 years.

It's 10 below here right now and there's just a trace of condensation on the bottom of my sashes.

CountryBoy19 said:
Where are you located that you have condensation problems in the winter? I could run a humidifier in every single room and still not have condensation problems.

Locale is AK, which is a winter desert, but house is an '80's construction when super-insulated building was cutting edge, and the need for air-exchange hadn't yet become obvious. Even with triple-pane windows, in previous winters, part of the Sunday drill (showers all around and three loads of laundry) included going from window to window mopping up condensation if it was less than -20 out. Neglect it, and you'd end up with puddles. I would run fans in all the windows until the moisture cleared. Under -40 and we'd have ice at the base of the windows. Cheery, that.

Oddly enough, the house was `plumbed' for an HVAC, but it never went in. I've planned to get to it, but thought I'd try the stove first. I've thought about putting in-line fans in to circulate the heat, but honestly, just don't need it. The wood stove is doing a great job of increasing air turnover and decreasing moisture. Most comfortable winter we've spent yet. (And so far, have not bought fuel!)

snowleopard said:

In my experience, most homes with wood heat could use a little moisture in the air.

The water itself will be retaining some heat - the lack of humidity in the desert will is what causes the temperature to drop so precipitously at night. Now would a gallon of water make much difference - maybe not, but if you're running it constantly, have the door closed, or have a whole house humidifier, then maybe

Yeah same here with new construction and SBS Alpine windows. http://www.sbsalaska.com/assets/quarterly/topics/alpine.htm

With the stove running for the most part mopping up windows/sills hasn't been too much of an issue though.

snowleopard said:
CountryBoy19 said:

Locale is AK, which is a winter desert, but house is an '80's construction when super-insulated building was cutting edge, and the need for air-exchange hadn't yet become obvious. Even with triple-pane windows, in previous winters, part of the Sunday drill (showers all around and three loads of laundry) included going from window to window mopping up condensation if it was less than -20 out. Neglect it, and you'd end up with puddles. I would run fans in all the windows until the moisture cleared. Under -40 and we'd have ice at the base of the windows. Cheery, that.

Oddly enough, the house was `plumbed' for an HVAC, but it never went in. I've planned to get to it, but thought I'd try the stove first. I've thought about putting in-line fans in to circulate the heat, but honestly, just don't need it. The wood stove is doing a great job of increasing air turnover and decreasing moisture. Most comfortable winter we've spent yet. (And so far, have not bought fuel!)

Franks said:
In my experience, most homes with wood heat could use a little moisture in the air.

You've got a really good point. I forget sometimes that the temperature extremes and the heavy insulation in the house (R60 attic, 10" double-wall construction) and lack of HVAC means that generalizing to (or from) the norm isn't terribly useful on my part, and I would not want to confuse anyone. So, folks: what he said.

DaFattKidd said:
Something I found has helped keep bedroom temps 2-3* warmer while we sleep we run a humidifier in our bedroom. It helps consistently there is a difference. If we run the humidifier the room stays 2-3* warmer in the morning. With my larger insert it's not such a concern any more, but when i had a smaller insert this made a big difference. It's the difference of waking up in a bedroom that is 66* vs 63*. It makes mornings a little more comfortable. Anyone else try this?

A humidafier isn't going to make a room warmer, but the humid air will make it feel warmer therfore allow you to keep temps a few degres lower and still be comfy. Most homes with a wood stove or fuel oil need a humidifyer or it will get to dry and cause static electricity dry skin etc. I run a humidafier any time the wood stove is in use.

Stove is in the basement and I placed a humidifier at the bottom of the stairs to try and have some of the new humidity carried up the stairs with the heat- what I found was that it is a heat killer- as mentioned earlier the cooler air reduces the amount of heat coming up. I am going to try some new locations to see what kind of effect I get.

What I have also found is the humidifier helps to maintain the levels in the house, but to increase humidity it has a hard time doing that unless I am running it full bore.

I wonder why you are showing such improvement with a humidifier? Is the heat attracted to moisture? Or is it just the warm mist incresing the temp? Is it a big humidifier that helps circulation?

CountryBoy19 said:
snowleopard said:

I'd suggest that you have significant air leaks. It'd benefit you to find and plug them. Don't forget windows that don't seal.

If the bedroom door is open I'd be suspicious the fan is circulating warmer air in from the next room.
Or your humidifier makes heat.
?

is it a warm mist humidifier? they have steam ones

It's a warm mist humidifier. It's not very big and doesn't really have much of a fan. Warm mist comes out of the top.

I don't know the science behind it. If I had to guess I would say something along the lines of -The humidity in the air holds the heat a little longer than dry air- but this was never the reason I ran the humidifier in the first place.

I'm just stating what happens when I run the humidifier. I have a thermometer in the room at all times. Every time I run the humidifier the room temperature stays 2-3* warmer. I don't know why it happens I just know that's what happens. i figured if it works for me, maybe it will work for some of the folks on hearth.com.

We came upon this accidentally. Each morning we would wake up and the room temp in our room would be 62-64* almost always. My wife was coughing a bit and wanted to humidifier on while we slept. Woke up that morning and the room was 66*. Thought it was a fluke. Then I realized it was a pattern. When the humidifier is on the room stays warmer. It doesn't get warmer it stays warmer in the morning.

Hope this is helpful. I'd love to hear if anyone else has similar responses to this.

DaFattKidd said:

I know a few things that keep my bedroom warm and NONE have anything to do with a humidifier......

varna said:
DaFattKidd said:

I know a few things that keep my bedroom warm and NONE have anything to do with a humidifier......

the warm blanket that grandma knitted, listening to soundscapes of the ocean, cuddling with puppies. Are these what you mean?

I love the feeling of waking up in a 60* room, with about 30# of blankets on you and it is about 80* under those covers. I like my bedrooms cold. In winter as well as summer.

DaFattKidd said:
It's a warm mist humidifier. It's not very big and doesn't really have much of a fan. Warm mist comes out of the top.

I don't know the science behind it. If I had to guess I would say something along the lines of -The humidity in the air holds the heat a little longer than dry air- but this was never the reason I ran the humidifier in the first place.

I'm just stating what happens when I run the humidifier. I have a thermometer in the room at all times. Every time I run the humidifier the room temperature stays 2-3* warmer. I don't know why it happens I just know that's what happens. i figured if it works for me, maybe it will work for some of the folks on hearth.com.

We came upon this accidentally. Each morning we would wake up and the room temp in our room would be 62-64* almost always. My wife was coughing a bit and wanted to humidifier on while we slept. Woke up that morning and the room was 66*. Thought it was a fluke. Then I realized it was a pattern. When the humidifier is on the room stays warmer. It doesn't get warmer it stays warmer in the morning.

Hope this is helpful. I'd love to hear if anyone else has similar responses to this.

Warm mist explains it. I'm going to guess that the warmth you are noticing is from the heater in the humidifier. It sounds like it is sized well for the room.

I think it makes sense. Higher humidity air can hold more heat. But it also slows perspiration which makes you feel warmer.

With central air I have noticed that the temp doesn't start to drop until the humidity level is lowered. I catch water discharge from the condensate pump at my house and it will remove 3 to 4 gallons the first hour or so. After it stabilizes I can only get the same amount in 24 hours.

I think once the moisture is heated it will retain the heat longer than dry air.

Status
Not open for further replies.