A view of our wood factory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Overhead view of our little place (inside the red border). We are bordered on the south by a creek. As you can see, on the east and SE are a couple of fields (one on the south side of creek). Other than that, we are bordered by woods. Steel road dead ends just past our driveway. No buildings show up in this picture but we are towards the NW corner just north of the pines and right along the line fence. The driveway is about 100 yards.

Towards the NW you will notice a darker color and some patchwork patterns. That is a combination of scotch, red and white pines with some Colorado blue spruce mixed in. The whiteish area is open sand which is just about like beach sand. This used to be a big open area until we planted the pine trees in the 1960's.

4a.gif

Nice place Dennis! A good mixture of woods, water, and some sand to play in.

This is a picture of my main cutting area, the woods in the foreground. It's almost all oak, with some small cherry, jackpine, small red pine plantations, and white pine. My house and the farm are not visible, off the left side. None of these fields are part of the farm, but belong to neighboring farms. This picture was taken several years ago by a friend from his airplane.

Attachments

• a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 498
I think you're both good on firewood for a couple more seasons. :lol:

quads, that looks like a pretty good patch of woods. You should never lack for fuel to heat your home.

Adios, from east to west our land is just a little over 1/4 mile. Picture from the road and you can see where our woods ends on the east. North to south varies because of the creek. I took this shot using Google.

EDIT: It was not Google. I'm thinking it was teraserver or something like that where I captured that picture. That little x in the picture was the give-away. But, it may have been a different program too; I just don't remember but it was before Google.

I planted a bunch of firs and spruce in the 60ies on a bare piece of land.
Boy Scouts did a piece with transplanted white pines a Summer or two later.
Partly for Christmas trees, partly for reforestation.
The white pines eventually sprouted amongst them and outgrew them.
They are all dying now and not mush good for anything but mulch.

Some of the white pines are now huge. The only spruce that's done well was transplanted to my front lawn out in the open with no competition.

Adios Pantalones said:
What are the scales on these pics? I'm jealous
The square-ish patch of woods across the center of my picture is 140 acres.

here is grandpa's land. I get most of my wood from the area right where that corner meets that road through the field. If you look you can see a small square with an X in it on the far left of the picture. That's 3 acres. That's the land I'm planning on building a cabin on in the next few years, so it'll probably be the source of some firewood shortly.

Attachments

• timber.jpg
    timber.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 370
Status
Not open for further replies.