A Window of Opportunity Has Opened in the Woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
The much awaited Dragon Fly has returned....and they're hungry for
mosquitoes & such. The mosquitoes are not totally gone, but at least it is tolerable.
As a matter of fact, my trek down the trail was a mix of black flies,
mosquitoes and dragon flies.......

Hip hip for the dragon flies!

When I left the house right before sunrise this AM, there were two bats in the front yard clearing out the riff-raff. I need to build a bat house and try to get some more to take up residence.

Every time I mow the yard the barn swallows come out and get a meal. They have incredible flying ability...fly lower than snake $#!t and can turn on a dime.

Shouldn't the Black Flies be gone by now? Around here (central PA) we are mostly dealing with Deer Flies. Mosquitoes and black flies are getting scarce.

What you need to do is to train these dragonflies and when you go into the woods, have them perched on your arm like hunting falcons...

Wood Duck said:
Shouldn't the Black Flies be gone by now? Around here (central PA) we are mostly dealing with Deer Flies. Mosquitoes and black flies are getting scarce.

I think you're right - they're probably Deer Flies.

lukem said:
When I left the house right before sunrise this AM, there were two bats in the front yard clearing out the riff-raff. I need to build a bat house and try to get some more to take up residence.

Every time I mow the yard the barn swallows come out and get a meal. They have incredible flying ability...fly lower than snake $#!t and can turn on a dime.

Bats are good, but they don't get the mosquitoes nearly as well as the Dragonflies.

I thought our skeeter population was pretty much under control but last week we got 5" of rain in 24 hours. That gives them time and new areas for a new hatching. We'll keep the Thermacell handy.

I've always enjoyed watching dragon flies in flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.