A wood burners delema

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
All the Free Pine you can split!!!

'bout another 3/4 cord delivered last night. Doing the guy a favor by giving him a place to dump it. Next up...."Would you mind taking log lengths of Ash and Maple? Free? "...Chevy 3500 dump truck full. Uhhh...let me think about that one...

Whats the dilema, how guilty you should feel?

Sure I have "free" wood but to have it all in one spot AND limbed = heaven

I am growing tired of pushing a wheelbarrow 300+ feet through the woods, selective cutting my ass....... I'm going to start cutting paths for the truck

Great deal! You can always mix the pine in with the hard wood.

I'm still waiting for things to dry out around here so I can go out in some guys woods and load up my truck full of oak rounds for $35 per load. I can get 3/4 to 1 full cord in my pickup.

I still haven't brought myself to do it yet. That is, I've still never burned pine; it just goes against something too deeply engrained in my head.

Corie said:
I still haven't brought myself to do it yet. That is, I've still never burned pine; it just goes against something too deeply engrained in my head.

Well, I had the same feelings...till it was delivered, free, and cut into 18" long rounds..some maybe 36". Free, no felling, just split and stack = loooooooowwwww hassle.

babalu87 said:
I am growing tired of pushing a wheelbarrow 300+ feet through the woods, selective cutting my ass....... I'm going to start cutting paths for the truck

Yup and why when your walking those 300 + feet does the ground seem fairly level, but you put the wood in the wheelbarrow and that front piece of metal seems to catch every root, stubble, and or stone that exists.

snowfreak said:
babalu87 said:

Yup and why when your walking those 300 + feet does the ground seem fairly level, but you put the wood in the wheelbarrow and that front piece of metal seems to catch every root, stubble, and or stone that exists.

LOL Ain't it the truth!!!! :lol:

"Wheelbarrow" !!?? They still make them things ? The big bucket with one wheel and is hand pushed ? Thats as bad as an axe or a maul ..... My grandpa had that stuff before he had passed away 25 years ago . *picture this* New epa stove , an axe or a maul - splitting wedge , a wheelbarrow , somethings just not right with this picture . ha , how about an outhouse or a hand crank well , horse and buggy ? hand picken cotton , washing the clothes in a bucket/scrubber ? whuw ........ ya'll are working way to hard.

Dylan said:
Washing clothes in a bucket?? When there's a river and some large rocks to perform the task on?? Ya gotta be kinding. Once in late April, and once again in early autumn...whether they need it or not??
HA !

Roospike said:
"Wheelbarrow" !!?? They still make them things ? The big bucket with one wheel and is hand pushed ? Thats as bad as an axe or a maul ..... My grandpa had that stuff before he had passed away 25 years ago . *picture this* New epa stove , an axe or a maul - splitting wedge , a wheelbarrow , somethings just not right with this picture . ha , how about an outhouse or a hand crank well , horse and buggy ? hand picken cotton , washing the clothes in a bucket/scrubber ? whuw ........ ya'll are working way to hard.

I think you just dissapointed Eric. It's o.k. Eric...Humanity will soldier on.

snowfreak said:
babalu87 said:

Tell me about it, damn near went ass over bandbox last week.
What is the reccomended height for operation of a wheeled barrow? I'm 6'2" and forced to hang my arms as low as possible, I was thinking of making handles I could attatch to the handles to let is sit the few inches it needs to so I am not at the risk of bodily injury should I venture to a spot that the ground is laserbeam lever.

Dr. Evil: You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?
Number Two: Sea Bass.
Dr. Evil: [pause] Right.
Number Two: They're mutated sea bass.
Dr. Evil: Are they ill tempered?
Number Two: Absolutely.
Dr. Evil: Oh well, that's a start.

ROFL

Maybe one day i'll get smart and get one of those fancy two wheeled contraptions

Better yet, I may get ever smahtah and buy and old 4 wheeler and a cart ;)

babalu87 said:

You're selectively cutting the trees that are in the way.

Steve

One of the people get wood from, has one of the carts with the huge wheels. It's a dream to push...BUT, I tend to load up a lot of wood in it...maybe twice as much as my one wheeled wonder I have at home, so it get's seriously heavy. You simply can't push it on anything but level ground. My next move is a cart I can pull behind the tractor. If my little 16 hp tractor can pull the 2200 lb trailer around the yard, it can certainly pull a cart full of wood.

Warren said:
One of the people get wood from, has one of the carts with the huge wheels. It's a dream to push...BUT, I tend to load up a lot of wood in it...maybe twice as much as my one wheeled wonder I have at home, so it get's seriously heavy. You simply can't push it on anything but level ground. My next move is a cart I can pull behind the tractor. If my little 16 hp tractor can pull the 2200 lb trailer around the yard, it can certainly pull a cart full of wood.

the trailer behind the tractor works great. you can load 3 to 4 wheel barrel full at the same time and have a beer in the cup holder. what's better than that :coolsmile:

fbelec said:
Warren said:

the trailer behind the tractor works great. you can load 3 to 4 wheel barrel full at the same time and have a beer in the cup holder. what's better than that :coolsmile:

What's better? I have 3 sons....Watching them load the trailer, split, and stack the wood...While I have a beer in the cup holder of the chair next to the pool.

HI Guys,

I bought one of those garden carts they have at the home cheapo. 4 12" air tires, 1 ft sides, 2 by 4 ft bed. Cost about $70. They can hold 1200 pounds although you will never get that much wood in it. I really like it. I put rounds in it (3 to 4) or I split first and then load. It holds maybe 1/4 face cord so it does not take too much time to move a lot of wood. And the sides collapse so you can unload in a few seconds.

Carpniels

carpniels said:
I bought one of those garden carts they have at the home cheapo. 4 12" air tires, 1 ft sides, 2 by 4 ft bed. Cost about $70. They can hold 1200 pounds ...

Carpniels

I think I have the same one (from Sears, made in China). Mine is green with medium strength wire-like surfaces.

I have mixed feelings. It DOES hold a lot of weight and stuff, but doesn't steer that well. My steering bent badly just trying to push the thing backwards and is now 'fragile' after 'unbending' it. It is great on flat, but I've nearly tipped it over several times with a big load of rounds on just moderately inconsistent ground. Felt like I was steer wrestling. One of my side gates is already broken off and I'm not that hard on equipment. It is attached with a tiny little sheet metal tab that will not withstand the first big 'bonk', so be careful.

Also, be sure and tighten up all the 'factory assembled' nuts and bolts, if you haven't already. Several of mine fell off during use.

All in all, I feel like it is probably almost worth the money. I mean, it does move a lot of wood FAST. But it has issues. I'm planning to get a used lawn tractor to pull it to scronge up wood in the neighborhood. It should work great hauling heavy loads over the sidewalk or street (flat).

I have the Agri-Fab. It's tough, but light. Can move a lot of wood quickly over moderately rough terrain. Over the past 5 yrs. we've moved cords of wood, rocks, brush, etc. However, once it has about 400 lbs. you need more than one person to move it unless it's on pretty level terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.