A wood burners story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Hi everyone! Yes it's that time of year again..

A few weeks ago I decided that since I didn't clean the chimney last year, I better. So, the dreaded job of removing all the upper fire bricks and secondary burn tubes from the Osburn 1800i ensued. It get's easier each year as I learn the tricks. Up on the roof, drop the rope down that's attached to the brush.. o.k. Steve (my son) pull the rope!! The task took a total of 3 minutes to pull the brush down and back up once. About 3 or 4 cups of ask fell into the stove, and not a bit of creosote to be found, despite running a good 2 full cords of pine through the stove last year. Ahhh the love of a good epa stove. Anyone have some pine they don't want??

So this past week, with temps falling into the 30's.. a fire was just the ticket. I'd almost forgotten how wonderful it is to watch a new fire catch.. as the wood burns in primary mode with a cold stove it's a bit like watching a campfire on a summer evening in the mountains. Then you notice the secondary's kicking in.. The flames begin to take on an odd rolling, dancing sort of character as all the smoke is being burned.. Then you see that coals have begun to form and the primary needs to be turned down.. So down to the min setting it goes and the flames slow dramatically but the secondary continues to rage at the top of the stove with an almost blast furnace character to them.. the stove pops and pings and you begin to notice the radiant heat from the stove is getting downright HOT. After a good 40 minutes. the stove is getting quite toasty and on goes the blower, and the cat notices the stove!!! Then my wife notices the stove! And in goes a few more splits of that pesky 100 year oak that dared stop a 34 ton splitter in it's tracks with a knot as big as a basket ball. Ahh, another heating season upon us. 8 cords of oak, maple and elm in the yard, two teen age boys to haul it all in, and a wife who is thrilled that the living room is once again 78 degrees when it's 34 outside.

And my oil heating buddies are bragging about how they're toughing it out with their LR at 62 and they just grab a few sleeping bags to keep warm.. heh.. for 6 months!!

I'm wearing shorts, and my wife is.. well nevermind.. Priceless!!

Happy burning everyone!!

Warren

Good to see ya again, but how much Elm do you have stacked for this season? :coolgrin:

Warren said:
I'm wearing shorts, and my wife is.. well nevermind.. Priceless!!

well I'm pretty new to this EPA stove thing... but it didn't take me long to notice the inverse relationship between the number of oak splits in the fire and the number of garments on the old lady...

Nothing like having the stove cranking and watching the oil truck drive by and keep on going!

Ah, the joys of wood burning!

LOL great story and I agree its great to have the propane guy check the tank and then drive away without filling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.