Aah baffles-that`s another reason why I am relucant to take the plunge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Now that I have started to clean my own insert,cept for the climb onto the roof,it ain`t that bad!

However, my baffle is just a plate of flat steel, which is easy to remove. Slide it up and out.

Now, the newer stuff with the secondary tubes and the more heavy and also more delicate baffles. How is that done.?

Complicated? Easy> wouldn`t mind some info on that stuff.??

Eg: what is the exact procedure??

On the Quad units I have worked on getting them out is pretty easy. Take out two alan head screws which hold in the tube clips. Take the front two tubes out. Tip the baffle down and curl up the insulation blanket slightly. Pull it out and dump all the crap in the firebox. To put it back you just reverse it, except you have to stick your arm up in there and tuck the insulation into the corners and edges. I have had plenty of customers break the baffle boards but I have never done it myself. If you are careful with it, it won't break.

Download the install/owners manual on the stove you are intrested in. That should give you the exact procedure.
Mabye see the boyz down the road that make your favorite unit.

I have read the Hearthstone Phoenix manual cover to cover multiple times, it doesn't tell me to take the baffles or burn tubes out ever. Am I missing something, why is it that the baffles or secondary burn tubes would need to be removed? I have carefully vacuumed out the area where the stovepipe joins the stove above the insulation and smoothed the insulation out, but have had no urge yet in two years to disassemble my stove. As for the burn tubes, the burning seems to keep them pretty clean.

I never took out a baffle, just vacuumed out the fly ash from the flue collar.

Pacific Energy Summit baffle is really easy, just one plate, angle it down and slide it out, Viola, your done :). None of this unscrewing 4 tubes stuff, PE takes the cake on this by far. Oh I forgot you need to pull a little pin out in the back first. Takes about 30 seconds total..There is a gasket that you might have to replace sometimes but no biggie

It depends on how your install is setup. For an insert or a built in unit you cannot really disconnect the pipe from the top of it. If you just jam a vacuum hose up there the insulation blanket will get ripped to shreds. Also for stoves some people might rather take the baffle out than take the connector pipe apart.

Keep the insert you have now.

BrotherBart said:
Keep the insert you have now.

Thanks brother bart: ya,think the lack of heat and crap is cause my 18 month wood is mold and mildew even though it measures no more than 25% moisture. Gonna try stacking outside for the summer and then to the sheds. (recently watched the Gulland video on that subject).

Wife made me build the woodsheds in the woods out of sight :red: a testament to my building skills. Perhaps the wood will never season properly in that enviroment. No big deal, haul it outta there to a sunny spot for the summer,then haul it back and stack it.And give my old pe another season of burning,and then make a better informed decision.

I'll take the fragile baffle plate out of my Heritage so that I can brush the vertical chimney right into the firebox. With the baffle out of the way, it should be super easy to brush and clean the brushed stuff. With the stove's door shut and the connector pipe hooked up there is no worry about the Mary Poppins style soot mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.