About cleaning before a liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
To anyone who questions the need to clean prior to lining we just got called out for an insurance evaluation on a fireplace that was lined for a freestanding stove. The liner was put in chimney not cleaned and throat just stuffed with fiberglass. There was a chimney fire in the liner it set the old creosote off which ran down and then a ball of burning creosote soaked fiberglass fell into the old fireplace luckily the homeowners were home and put it out with a fire extinguisher but it could have been bad. We haven't gone out yet but i will take pics when i do

Good reminder. It will be interesting to see the pics.

Yeah it sounds pretty nasty from what the adjuster said. And this was done by a so called pro. We have seen some of his other work in the past but most of it is not this bad. I have a feeling there will be a lawsuit coming his way

Status
Not open for further replies.