About firewood dealers, I have this question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
velvetfoot said:
EIGHT CORDS?!
I got six with my last grapple load.

I get about 7 cords of stackable wood and about a cord of shoulder wood (shorts, ends & punks etc)

The guy I use has a truck that delivers 20' lengths and his truck stacks fairly high.

There was a fair amount of hollowness involved with my last grapple load, as well as white birch.
So, I'm trying this other guy, who's been recommended and actually answers my call.

what do you pay for a load and what kinds of wood are you getting with it?

Not sure of the different species - something I need to learn - but there was too much white birch.
I paid $650.

Sounds like a fair price, it shouldn't run much over $100/cord tree length. I'm not sure what part of the state you are in but you might want to ask for all hardwood in your next delivery.

Stevebass4 said:
My Oslo heats my home said:
I'm not one of the guys that has a regular dealer/supplier, I'm always looking to save another dollar anywhere I can. .

ya know i think that may be part of the problem - if you have a regular supplier you might have less issues -

i too enjoy saving a buck or two when i can, however nothing beats loyalty when it comes to business. i know i can stop by my log guy's shop and he'll be there next day with a grapple and then he knows i'll be at the shop the next morning with cash

+1 Steve!

Ray

I know a lot of people around here think wood can get "to dry" to burn if it's been split for a long time. With this being the case I could see a firewood supplier showing up with some nice 2 year old oak and having someone say that they don't want that old dried out wood! I guess if you're burning green oak in an old smoke dragon with a clogged up chimney throwing in a load of seasoned wood and letting it rip would be a good way to clean out the chimney, via chimney fire. This is most likely the reason for the belief.

Oslo, it might be because it was Spring and the wood he delivered was left over or something. It's really not that bad, on balance. Then again, I called him again before I tried the second fellow, and he never returned my message. He was hard to get a hold of the first time around. The second guy, not at all.

I've thought in the past I'm doing a lot of work for little savings with the logs, but maybe a little more since it seems I never get a full cord when split.

Oak is a fairly plentiful fuel type here in Mass. We all know its density generally forces us to dry this wood for at least 2 years before burning. My question is why do the suppliers who sell "mixed" hardwood in their loads send less than 2 yr old oak when they know its usually not ready. I can understand the beech, ash and maple being close to ready and we know when the material is split it usually is mixed into a large pile.

Does anyone ever ask for non oak loads? I personally get grapple loads and last year I asked my guy about getting less oak, he said no because he had such an abundance of it. Anyone else?

Can you imagine what a pain in the arse it would be as a tree guy to maintain seperate piles of drying splits by species of tree? Hell, the larger dealers season their splits around here in heaps piled with a bucket loader. And I'd be shocked if the seasoning time in most cases doesn't include time spent as log lengths in a splitting yard.

If anything, I would think you would have to pay more for a load without a given species of tree.

I also have yet to run into a wood dealer, sweep, or stove dealer for that matter, that I would truly believe is reputable. They may be out there, but they're few and far between.

velvetfoot said:
Oslo, it might be because it was Spring and the wood he delivered was left over or something. It's really not that bad, on balance. Then again, I called him again before I tried the second fellow, and he never returned my message. He was hard to get a hold of the first time around. The second guy, not at all.

I've thought in the past I'm doing a lot of work for little savings with the logs, but maybe a little more since it seems I never get a full cord when split.

My tree guy drops his prices slightly in the off-season just to keep a driver busy so I might get the load for $90/cord depending on fuel prices too. As far as the work involved I love it and as long as I can do It and enjoy it I will.
Everyone's different.

Biff_CT2 said:
Oak is a fairly plentiful fuel type here in Mass. We all know its density generally forces us to dry this wood for at least 2 years before burning. My question is why do the suppliers who sell "mixed" hardwood in their loads send less than 2 yr old oak when they know its usually not ready. I can understand the beech, ash and maple being close to ready and we know when the material is split it usually is mixed into a large pile.

Does anyone ever ask for non oak loads? I personally get grapple loads and last year I asked my guy about getting less oak, he said no because he had such an abundance of it. Anyone else?

Can you imagine what a pain in the arse it would be as a tree guy to maintain seperate piles of drying splits by species of tree? Hell, the larger dealers season their splits around here in heaps piled with a bucket loader. And I'd be shocked if the seasoning time in most cases doesn't include time spent as log lengths in a splitting yard.

If anything, I would think you would have to pay more for a load without a given species of tree.

I also have yet to run into a wood dealer, sweep, or stove dealer for that matter, that I would truly believe is reputable. They may be out there, but they're few and far between.

Biff I totally agree with you on the reputable finds in service. I canned my sweep this year for some things he did on the visit. However, there are plenty of folks here in the forum, ill name Ray as one of them, that are extremely happy with their service people.

I just got my first delivery of splits Sunday. Oak, maple and lots of cherry. Decent as far as that goes, but good grief, it's soaking wet. I realize the impossibility of him covering it (makes me want to go to his place and cover it myself) but that's what bothers me the most. I run a dutchwest and it LOVES dry wood.

Hi Ray, you know any reputable wood dealers around us? I'm sort of at wits end with mine. The price is good but the quality suffers.

i'm grateful that i don't have to buy wood anymore, but the first year in this house i was buying from a friend who sold by the 'truckload'. i'd bet it was around 1/2 a cord and was $125. about right for prices around here. as i was honing my own scrouging strategy, i would tell him that i would buy wood from him if he had locust, hickory or white oak, stuff that i couldn't get alot of on my own. in fact, i'm going to be burning some locust i got from him 3 years ago this season.

we do what we can to keep our cost down, our expenditure of energy efficient and our families warm. great info on this site.

raybonz said:
jatoxico said:
n3pro said:
egclassic said:
mtarbert said:
Firewood dealers sell hat they have. They are good at cutting, splitting and sometimes delivering ontime but, know very little about moisture content or drying times for diffrent types of wood.

I think you mean "care very little"!

I agree with the "know very little" one supplier I use is a landscaper, one is a mason, and one is a farmer. Quite frankly talking to all of them the are really honestly clueless. All they know is you cut a tree, split it, throw it in a pile and when someone calls for a delivery they jump in the backhoe, load up the dump truck and boom - you got a load in your driveway. I'm planing on creating a post tonight on my latest delivery. When he delivered the wood he said he don't split it until before he delivers it because people like the fresh color.

That's pretty funny but I believe it. Can't you hear it? "This wood looks old" like it's lettuce or fish. Jeez

Doesn't everyone want "fresh" firewood? That gray stuff is so unsightly! :) It reminds me of The Jerk when Navin Johnson said "I don't want that old wine! Bring me some fresh wine with the screw cap or in a box" LOL

Ray
HE HATES THESE CANS!!!!

firelite said:
I just got my first delivery of splits Sunday. Oak, maple and lots of cherry. Decent as far as that goes, but good grief, it's soaking wet. I realize the impossibility of him covering it (makes me want to go to his place and cover it myself) but that's what bothers me the most. I run a dutchwest and it LOVES dry wood.

Hi Ray, you know any reputable wood dealers around us? I'm sort of at wits end with mine. The price is good but the quality suffers.

Actually yes but it will not be seasoned wood but then again 99% of delivered wood will not be seasoned.. I don't know his current price but he is a good guy.. He is out of Taunton next to Rehobeth.. Tell Ray that Ray from Carver sent you.. He may have Ash which is the driest of green woods if you're in a bind..

Ray

Ray Walsh
1-508-360-8668

wood-fan-atic said:
raybonz said:
jatoxico said:
n3pro said:
egclassic said:
mtarbert" date="1316966963 said:
Firewood dealers sell hat they have. They are good at cutting, splitting and sometimes delivering ontime but, know very little about moisture content or drying times for diffrent types of wood.

I think you mean "care very little"!

I agree with the "know very little" one supplier I use is a landscaper, one is a mason, and one is a farmer. Quite frankly talking to all of them the are really honestly clueless. All they know is you cut a tree, split it, throw it in a pile and when someone calls for a delivery they jump in the backhoe, load up the dump truck and boom - you got a load in your driveway. I'm planing on creating a post tonight on my latest delivery. When he delivered the wood he said he don't split it until before he delivers it because people like the fresh color.

That's pretty funny but I believe it. Can't you hear it? "This wood looks old" like it's lettuce or fish. Jeez

Doesn't everyone want "fresh" firewood? That gray stuff is so unsightly! :) It reminds me of The Jerk when Navin Johnson said "I don't want that old wine! Bring me some fresh wine with the screw cap or in a box" LOL

Ray

LOL I loved that movie! Steve Martin is a funny guy!

Ray
HE HATES THESE CANS!!!!

I have nothing against burning oak except for the drying time compared to other great woods I can get for the same price. I have standing instructions to my wood dealers not to include any oak in my wood deliveries if they want me to keep buying from them. It just doesn't do all that well in the Battenkiln, and I have had neither the space nor the inclination to season it for two seasons like I feel it should be. Cherry, ash, black birch, hard maple, locust, hickory... they all are ready to burn after 3-4 weeks inside the Battenkiln, but oak just lingers on. Real kilns have trouble with it as well, so there is something to its reputation as a slow dryer.

Thanks for the info Ray. I'm not in a bind (except for money to pay the guy) The guy I use is from Freetown, and he's got six+ cord for me reserved. I'm a stickler for dry, seasoned wood and to tell you the truth, he's a union electrician who does this on the side. Nothing wrong with that. It's just that he's not whole-hearted about what he delivers. It's slpit and deliver with him. I know I sound a little puritanical, but I have to be aware of what I'm putting into my stove. Thank you for the phone number, I'm much more adept at talking than typing. I'll surely call.

Backwoods Savage said:
I think it is mostly ignorance by both seller and buyer. Trace it down and most of the ideas come from Grandpa and, sadly, the media. It used to be extremely common that folks would put up wood in the fall and sometimes during the winter months and it would be burned right away. Well, people get the idea that folks always did it that way and of course those people of old cannot be wrong, can they? This baloney gets told from generation to generation.

Another thing I've noticed. I delivered some white ash last year and the guy was so happy. "You can burn that stuff green," says he. Seems he had been talking to other folks he worked with and this was what everyone there thought. Naturally I informed him that this ash was not green nor would I sell any that was green. I also explained it a little more in depth. I know not if it sunk in or not but this attitude is common. It is difficult to straighten out too simply because people do talk and the majority of the folks just do not know any better so that is what they believe.

yes sir -

and once the customer gets a hot fire going, their partially-green firewood BURNS. its not like they aren't getting anything from the load of unseasoned wood. some are just ignorant of the fact that dry wood yields more efficiency, safer chimney operation, etc.

i read a post somewhere.....no...it was on a chimney sweep website....where the purveyor of wisdom said that white oak was 'worthless firewood, don't even waste your time and efforts with it. have you ever had a piece of wood in your fireplace that just wont burn? like a lump of stone? THAT'S probably white oak'.

believe that? i'd bet that was a piece of 3 month 'seasoned' white oak cuz when i put white oak in my stove, the temp in my house goes up 3 degrees from ash or maple.

OT

I wish "too much Oak" was a problem around here. I'll gladly trade some black spruce for some if anyone is interested......

onetracker said:
Backwoods Savage said:
I think it is mostly ignorance by both seller and buyer. Trace it down and most of the ideas come from Grandpa and, sadly, the media. It used to be extremely common that folks would put up wood in the fall and sometimes during the winter months and it would be burned right away. Well, people get the idea that folks always did it that way and of course those people of old cannot be wrong, can they? This baloney gets told from generation to generation.

Another thing I've noticed. I delivered some white ash last year and the guy was so happy. "You can burn that stuff green," says he. Seems he had been talking to other folks he worked with and this was what everyone there thought. Naturally I informed him that this ash was not green nor would I sell any that was green. I also explained it a little more in depth. I know not if it sunk in or not but this attitude is common. It is difficult to straighten out too simply because people do talk and the majority of the folks just do not know any better so that is what they believe.

yes sir -

and once the customer gets a hot fire going, their partially-green firewood BURNS. its not like they aren't getting anything from the load of unseasoned wood. some are just ignorant of the fact that dry wood yields more efficiency, safer chimney operation, etc.

i read a post somewhere.....no...it was on a chimney sweep website....where the purveyor of wisdom said that white oak was 'worthless firewood, don't even waste your time and efforts with it. have you ever had a piece of wood in your fireplace that just wont burn? like a lump of stone? THAT'S probably white oak'.

believe that? i'd bet that was a piece of 3 month 'seasoned' white oak cuz when i put white oak in my stove, the temp in my house goes up 3 degrees from ash or maple.

OT

Too funny White Oak is even better than Red Oak as it is even denser and therefore heavier! I have burned some and it's excellent to say the least! It also has thinner bark than red oak which is another plus (at least the stuff I had was thinner)..

Ray

I'll take any white or red oak. Great fire wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
I'll take any white or red oak. Great fire wood.

Yup all oak is good firewood... White oak is not as common as red here but red is great when seasoned..

Ray

raybonz said:
firelite said:

Actually yes but it will not be seasoned wood but then again 99% of delivered wood will not be seasoned.. I don't know his current price but he is a good guy.. He is out of Taunton next to Rehobeth.. Tell Ray that Ray from Carver sent you.. He may have Ash which is the driest of green woods if you're in a bind..

Ray

Ray Walsh
1-508-360-8668

Hmm....
I'm in Taunton next to Rehoboth, need to check the stacks.... ;-P

Aaron Pasteris said:
raybonz said:
firelite said:

Ray

Ray Walsh
1-508-360-8668

Hmm....
I'm in Taunton next to Rehoboth, need to check the stacks.... ;-P

Like I said give Ray a call, nice guy and if you find yourself short he will make it up.. Fair guy and you pay as he delivers, one cord at a time in a dump truck.. Let him know Ray from Carver sent you..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.