about ir themometers: raytek mt6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buol

Dec 20, 2009
tetons, wy
this new unit tracks closely to the oven at whatever temp is set. the vc defiant encore says to test temp at the middle of the griddle, with overfiring being over 750 degrees. i'm totally amazed. when the raytek is about this temp the conventional therm reads only about 450!! over and over i have been checking and rechecking comparisons at the griddle, the corners and nearby ambient surfaces. i don't see why anyone would waste any money on various magnetic 'thermometers', much less rely on them for temps to switch to catalytic, etc.

lazyeye said:
this new unit tracks closely to the oven at whatever temp is set. the vc defiant encore says to test temp at the middle of the griddle, with overfiring being over 750 degrees. i'm totally amazed. when the raytek is about this temp the conventional therm reads only about 450!! over and over i have been checking and rechecking comparisons at the griddle, the corners and nearby ambient surfaces. i don't see why anyone would waste any money on various magnetic 'thermometers', much less rely on them for temps to switch to catalytic, etc.

Just found your post on this IR temp. gun and am considering the same one for myself and wondered how it's held up.. My Condar Chimgard is new and WAY off (the old chimgard is 100 deg. higher than this one so which is correct??).. I just can't rely on it as it is so far off.. With a blazing fire my new chimgard only reads a surface temp of ~220 degrees with brand new clean single wall pipe burning DRY wood.. I find this hard to believe!

Ray

raybonz said:
With a blazing fire my new chimgard only reads a surface temp of ~220 degrees with brand new clean single wall pipe burning DRY wood.. I find this hard to believe!

Try holding your hand on it for a few seconds. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.