About my Lavec stove - information received, information requested

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyoung

Aug 9, 2008
CA
I little bit ago I asked if anyone knew about a Lavec stove I inherited. Someone suggested that I take photos and post them. Well I took the photos, but there is now a communication problem between my computer and my camera so I can't download. In the meantime, however, I contacted Scandia in australia who told me that Scandia and Lavec used to be the same company. I also wrote down some further information from the small plaque on the back of the stove. It says, "Lavec International Corp., 100 Meadow St, Warwick, RI 02866. Model: 1100. Tested April 1982". It also has a serial number which I failed to write down. I requested further information from Scandia, but if anyone else knows anything about this stove, I would love to hear about it.
Thanks!

Scandia was a front name for a company the copied many existing stove models and had them made in Asia....this was way back.....when some real junk was coming out of China, etc.

The company was sued out of business because of Trademark violations.

Scandia copied dozens of various models of European and American designs. Without a picture of your, it will be tough to tell you which stove it is a copy of. In any case, these are not valuable stoves and were rarely sold by reputable stove dealers.

Thanks for your reply. Is the Scandia company currently in operation in Australia the same one you are speaking about? It was my understanding that there were two companies called Scandia, but perhaps I am wrong. Thanks.

I don't think they are the same. I am going by the fact that your stove shows Warwick, RI - which is the home of the Scandia brand here.....
The company was NOT called Scandia, that was a brand name which tried to fool customers into thinking they were from Europe. The company was:
Franklin Cast Products - of Warwick, RI.

Yes, it would be strange if there were two Scandia's out of Warwick RI. The Scandia Australia people indicated that Lavec and their company were one in the same at one time. Am awaiting more information from them. Maybe they are a reincarnation of the Scandia you mentioned. Who know?

Status
Not open for further replies.