About that block-off plate...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
We inserted our new Lopi Republic insert over the weekend with a full liner, the pre-insulated insulflex that has a stainless liner inside, then insulation and an aluminum liner outside. It's a thick outer liner, and seems very high quality. I have a big flue and was advised to do a block off plate, which I intended to do but didn't have time to do before the install. So it was going to have to be a later thing. My fireplace is large and I am probably going to go without the surround. So I will need to find something to block the view of the bright silver liner.

So tonight the stove is rip-roaring and putting out a ton of heat. I reached my hand in the fireplace to see if we are indeed losing heat up the chimney. It would seem that we are not. It's actually coolish in the back of the fireplace and the iron vestal damper that is continuous on the top of the fireplace (except where we cut it out to put the liner through) and is a foot above the stove is cool enough to put my hand on and keep it there. I accidentally grazed the outside of the aluminum liner though and OUCHie, that thing sure is hot. It's not hot from the inside, (I don't think?) but conducting upwards from the stove? Or no? Well anyway, yeah, it's no surprise that aluminum conducts. But ouchie, will stay away from that thing. Maybe I will line the black pipe i am going to hide it with with some insulation too.

But I am thinking, possibly don't need the block off plate right away? The slot from the damper is the only part that is open anyway so it's only about a four inch slot that is something like 7" to either side of the liner that is open maybe?

tickbitty said:
We inserted our new Lopi Republic insert over the weekend with a full liner, the pre-insulated insulflex that has a stainless liner inside, then insulation and an aluminum liner outside. It's a thick outer liner, and seems very high quality. I have a big flue and was advised to do a block off plate, which I intended to do but didn't have time to do before the install. So it was going to have to be a later thing. My fireplace is large and I am probably going to go without the surround. So I will need to find something to block the view of the bright silver liner.

So tonight the stove is rip-roaring and putting out a ton of heat. I reached my hand in the fireplace to see if we are indeed losing heat up the chimney. It would seem that we are not. It's actually coolish in the back of the fireplace and the iron vestal damper that is continuous on the top of the fireplace (except where we cut it out to put the liner through) and is a foot above the stove is cool enough to put my hand on and keep it there. I accidentally grazed the outside of the aluminum liner though and OUCHie, that thing sure is hot. It's not hot from the inside, (I don't think?) but conducting upwards from the stove? Or no? Well anyway, yeah, it's no surprise that aluminum conducts. But ouchie, will stay away from that thing. Maybe I will line the black pipe i am going to hide it with with some insulation too.

But I am thinking, possibly don't need the block off plate right away? The slot from the damper is the only part that is open anyway so it's only about a four inch slot that is something like 7" to either side of the liner that is open maybe?

Light a cigarette or incense near that area and see where the smoke goes.

Good point. We don't smoke. But will give it a try with something else. Not ruling out the plate really, but I am pleased that we don't seem to be losing a lot of heat up there and that the insert seems to be doing what it is supposed to do, put the heat out the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.