About time to pull the trigger on the stove... need PIPE help too!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Donnie Brasco

Feeling the Heat
May 29, 2012
East Central Kansas
Well, I need to get going on buying a stove AND pipe!!!
I have been spitting wood and I have nothing to burn it in! I am on a "new baby budget" so the stove I THINK i have settled on is the Drolet Myriad. I still need a hearth, and I need some input on PIPE!

I will be going straight up about 5 feet in the main room, then about 8 feet in an UN-finished attic.
6" pipe, NO bends, and it will come out just inches from the peak of my roof.

I am in DESPERATE need of ANY input... I have no idea of cost, would love to get some ideas as to where to get good pipe on a budget!

Thank you!

Don

If the peak is close, the class A flue pipe will need to be at least 2 ft higher higher than the peak. The stove connector can be single-wall (18" min. clearance) or double-wall (6" clearance). You will then need a ceiling support box. This is where you will transition to class A pipe. On the attic side you will need an insulation shield. All pieces should be from the same mfg. Tip: When framing the ceiling support box, use long deck screws instead of nail for the studs to box it in. That will save you popping nailheads in the sheetrock below. Here is a basic diagram of what you'll need.

roof-class-a.jpg 10-3-2 rule.JPG

Download the pipe manufacturer's installation guide. That will be helpful. For a good source of piping I have had good service from www.dynamitebuys.com. Ask for Sean. He knows his stuff and is helpful. Here is an article too: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_a_woodstove

Note that you will need to have a hearth with a minimum of R=1.0 insulation value for the Myriad.

You are gonna find the best deal on class a pipe at menards. Super-vent is the brand. Make sure that it exits the roof far enough below the peak to allow room for the flashing. On a 6 pitch you need about 13" to the center pipe from the peak.

I only have one thing to add - MY personal pref is double wall from stove to sunlight. Simply not a fan of single wall.

You are gonna find the best deal on class a pipe at menards. Super-vent is the brand. Make sure that it exits the roof far enough below the peak to allow room for the flashing. On a 6 pitch you need about 13" to the center pipe from the peak.
^^^ This is true. I was going to say...
it will come out just inches from the peak of my roof.
is a bad idea, you need enough room for the flashing, you DO NOT want to try and flash it over the peak. You'll have to get a custom piece and you'll have a hard time sealing it up.

Why settle for a Drolet, with used Jotuls to be had? ;)

I only have one thing to add - MY personal pref is double wall from stove to sunlight. Simply not a fan of single wall.

Hey Jags, what is the thinking behind that?
Since I know ZERO, I am NOT questioning you, just trying to get smarter! :)

With double-wall there is less heat loss from the pipe. The flue gases stay hotter so the pipe stays cleaner. The stove will also draft better in mild weather with a warmer flue.

With double-wall there is less heat loss from the pipe. The flue gases stay hotter so the pipe stays cleaner. The stove will also draft better in mild weather with a warmer flue.

Yeah, you're gonna be at the minimum for chimney height, so you'll need all the help you can get with draft.

We bought stuff at Menard's the other night, and the price jumped $13 for a three foot section of 6". Dang it.

The long telescoping section of double wall connector is special order, but they ship to you for 'free'.

And just for the record, the double wall connector pipe from menards is a PItA!!! It would be worth the money to get Dura-Vent DVL from a hearth store!

And just for the record, the double wall connector pipe from menards is a PItA!!! It would be worth the money to get Dura-Vent DVL from a hearth store!

Why? I've uesd three of them, and just got the fourth, so I guess I don't know any better.

None taken. Just curious. The stove adapters are kinda janky.

At least I have the Excel flashing ;)

The further you get from New England, the harder used Jotuls are to find. I search pretty much constantly.
Agreed they appear and disappear in a matter of a day or less here. There are lots of wood burners in these woods !

Pete

Also you can get closer to a combustible surfaces with double wall pipe. That didn't stop me from staying 2.5' away from any wall though lol.

The further you get from New England, the harder used Jotuls are to find. I search pretty much constantly.

Now that you mention it, I did notice the same, when I was searching for my second. Every time a nice deal popped up on ebay or c'list, it was in New England!

I just replaced my single wall pipe with menards double wall and I would recommend it! I like the added safety of the double wall and each fitting is much more secure and solid feeling. I also like the fact that I can put a stove pipe probe in my flue now and read actually flu temps rather than surface temps of the pipe from single wall.

image.jpg

I also added a 3' section of pipe to my chimney this winter. I found the best deal at tractor supply and the supervent matched up with my existing pipe.

image.jpg image.jpg

Like everyone else said... Def stick with the same brand stove pipe, support box and chimney pipe all the way thru. All of your connections will fit better and be easier to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.