about to buy sooteater..help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
im about to buy a sooteater...heres my questions...i think my ss liner is 6 inches...do i measure around or across to make sure?....also do u all use a vac with the sooteater?..anything special with the vac?..and how do i measure how long my chimney is?...so i know if i need extra rods....these may be dumb questions, but sure would help a hillbilly out...thanks in advance

measure across for the diameter of the liner. as far as how long the chimney/liner is you'll have to measure as best you can. also, it's sometimes cheaper to buy two sooteaters than a few extra rods, but that'll depend on how many rods you'd need. i think the box comes with 6 three footers for a total of 18 feet.

If ya get two kits,,,you should have plenty of rods....unless ya have a 40 foot chimney. You will also have an extra cleaning head, should sometime happen. Good luck....you will love that product.

+1 on buying 2 sets. You get extra rods and an extra head along with the extra drill adapter (I am sure I will misplace mine so I like having a second).. For the flue diameter, you measure across, but there is a cutting guide in the back of the manual that makes it very easy. One other suggestion that was made before is to loosen the string pieces and slide them so you only cut one side. You essentially will have string refills at the ready without having to buy anything.

I don't use a vac, but I have access from an outside T so ....

Kite string with a weight and drop it 'til it hits the bottom. Pull it out and measure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.