About to install an insert, am I all set?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rougement

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Mn, US
What a great forum! I've learned so much just by browsing here but I'm about to pull the trigger on installing a Vogelzang Colonial insert and I hope some of you more knowledgeable people could give it a once over and see if there's anything that could potentially cause problems.

Here are a couple of snaps of the chimney:

There are three clay lined flues. The one on the left is small and unused, the centre is for an upstairs fireplace and the right is the downstairs kitchen where I'm putting the insert, these are both the bigger clay lined type ... 11X11?

Here's the spot it will be installed in:

My concern stems from the flue previously being used for an indoor charcoal grill, doesn't look like anything else has used this flue and so it is untested for serious heat, the house is 40 years old. Flue, to my untrained eye looks in good shape, no cracks in the tile but neither big flue had a chimney cap on it. The firebox upstairs is badly rusted as a result of rainwater.

Anyway, 6" steel liner is in. I'll be using it without insulation at first but I'm gonna pour thermite ASAP.

Clearances as per the Vogelzang manual are fine as far as the insert is concerned.

I've filled up the hole where the grill sat with CMU, firebricks at the front and mortar. Will grab some bricks to finish up the front.

The surround will reach the bricks on the left and above but not on the right. I can throw some concrete blocks in there if needed. Do inserts work best in a closed up fireplace?

Obviously, no hearth and a 3' drop down to the floor. Do I still need something non-combustible down there even with a drop?

That's pretty much it. Am I good to go?

Normally I'd just try out a DIY project and treat it as a learning experience but I'm not gonna do that where fire is concerned.

Thanks guys.

i think your going to need 16 or 18 inches in front where it drops off. if you open the door and a hot ember or coal falls to the floor that's trouble. that is a code also.

your manual should tell you what you need. or at least a idea.

That space to the right could make a good spot for storing some wood.

fbelec said:
i think your going to need 16 or 18 inches in front where it drops off. if you open the door and a hot ember or coal falls to the floor that's trouble. that is a code also.

Good point. I'll install some tile around, thanks!

fbelec said:
your manual should tell you what you need. or at least a idea.

I've read it a few times but Vogelzang assume it's going to be installed in a typical floor level fireplace, this is slightly different and I don't want to get caught out.

fredarm said:

I thought about that but storing wood that close to the insert scares the crap out of me. Maybe with a dividing wall with a heatshield? I'm not sure I'd want to risk it.

I bet the cat will find out about that spot soon enough anyway.

Rougement said:
fredarm said:

I thought about that but storing wood that close to the insert scares the crap out of me. Maybe with a dividing wall with a heatshield? I'm not sure I'd want to risk it.

I bet the cat will find out about that spot soon enough anyway.

I would think it'll be fine with that cinderblock dividing wall, but wait until the install is done and see how warm it gets. Of course, once the cat finds out about it, you'll have a very unhappy cat if you put some wood there!

Damn! Got the vogelzang colonial and it has a 45 degree angle for the flue connection. The liner has to wind it's way around the top of the firebox/damper and after that I just can't get it into the insert. Will there be any potential issues with notching out the top of the firebox and removing the damper so the liner can run straight down before the 45 bend into the insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.