About to replace OLD wood stove, have a few questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egghead2004

Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2006
Charlton, MA
Hi all, new member here. So far I've found a lot of goon information, but I still have a few questions.

First, I have an old plate steel stove. There is a name on it, Sedley, Sedlay, Sadley, Sedloy, or whatever. I can't make out the vowels - a,e, or o. Has anyone heard of such a beast and do they have any info on it?

I think I am going to get a Jotul Oslo model to replace it. What is the ideal flue temp for these newer stoves? I always ran the beast at 350-400 for good heat, not overfired, not underfired, but just right. Will that be about the same for a Jotul?

Can or should I leave the flue damper in? currrently I have to use both to get the best heat/long burn out of this old thing.

I think that is all for now,

Thanks

egghead2004 said:
Hi all, new member here. So far I've found a lot of goon information, but I still have a few questions.

First, I have an old plate steel stove. There is a name on it, Sedley, Sedlay, Sadley, Sedloy, or whatever. I can't make out the vowels - a,e, or o. Has anyone heard of such a beast and do they have any info on it?

I think I am going to get a Jotul Oslo model to replace it. What is the ideal flue temp for these newer stoves? I always ran the beast at 350-400 for good heat, not overfired, not underfired, but just right. Will that be about the same for a Jotul?

Can or should I leave the flue damper in? currrently I have to use both to get the best heat/long burn out of this old thing.

Thanks

No harm leaving the damper in although you may not use it depending on a lot of factores.

The Oslo is a great stove. Most folks here use top surface temp as opposed to stack temp, and I think that should be from 400-750 when your stove is running.....750 being really nice heat output. It depends on what the heat load of the home is as to whether you will be running at 450 or 650. Either temps should still keep it in the clean burn range.

For those rocket scientists here, what is the formula for heat off a surface - for instance, how much more heat out of a sq ft of surface area at 700 as opposed to 600. Must be a relatively easy relationship.

The total radiation emitted by the surface of a blackbody goes as the fourth power of its absolute temprature. Specifically, the relationship is,

R = (emissivity) * (Stefan-Boltzmann-constant) * (Absolute Temprature in Kelvin) ^ 4.

The emissivity is a property of the surface. Doesn't matter in this case, 600 F is around 588 K, 700 F is 644 K.

So going from 600F to 700F, the total radiance will increase by (644/588)^4 = 1.44 times or 44 percent.

HotFlame said:
The total radiation emitted by the surface of a blackbody goes as the fourth power of its absolute temprature. Specifically, the relationship is,

R = (emissivity) * (Stefan-Boltzmann-constant) * (Absolute Temprature in Kelvin) ^ 4.

The emissivity is a property of the surface. Doesn't matter in this case, 600 F is around 588 K, 700 F is 644 K.

So going from 600F to 700F, the total radiance will increase by (644/588)^4 = 1.44 times or 44 percent.

How bout putting it on a little spreadsheet for the BTU's and % increase from:
400 to
500 to
600 to
700 to

per square foot.and then I can then measure some stoves up and can create a little chart that helps people see why their stove doesn't heat well at 400, but might at 600.....and the BTU a radiant stove might put out at x temp.

I put the numbers in a spreadsheet and here is the result. Temps on the left are stove temps in F and the calculation assumes a sorrounding house temp of 68F. The numbers on right are the percentage of radiant energy output relative to the exact same stove and setup at 450F.

Stove Temp Energy/Area Rel to 450F

100 3
150 10
200 18
250 29
300 42
350 58
400 77
450 100
500 127
550 158
600 195
650 237
700 285
750 340
800 402
850 472
900 550

Hi All,

This has the makings of being a great thread. I think I am about to learn the answer to questions I didn't even realize I was wondering about.

I don't quite understand it yet, but it has definately got me saying, 'Hummm'

Craig, I would be very interested if you could work on that chart.

Congrats on the new format. This has got to be one of the most interesting and helpful sites I have ever come across in my 6 years as an Internet-o-naut.

Donna

HotFlame said:
I put the numbers in a spreadsheet and here is the result. Temps on the left are stove temps in F and the calculation assumes a sorrounding house temp of 68F. The numbers on right are the percentage of radiant energy output relative to the exact same stove and setup at 450F.

Thank you Hotflame. That is a nice piece of work. The little Jotuls are about to go up a few notches. We won't talk about what the Sierra has been up to many times. Ain't on the chart.

HotFlame, Great Work! You put some numbers behind my wonderings.....this really makes sense from what I am feeling when my stove goes from 450 to 600.

Craig, this is REALLY useful. Can you put it somewhere for perpamnent reference?

Webmaster said:
egghead2004 said:

Thanks

No harm leaving the damper in although you may not use it depending on a lot of factores.

The Oslo is a great stove. Most folks here use top surface temp as opposed to stack temp, and I think that should be from 400-750 when your stove is running.....750 being really nice heat output. It depends on what the heat load of the home is as to whether you will be running at 450 or 650. Either temps should still keep it in the clean burn range.

For those rocket scientists here, what is the formula for heat off a surface - for instance, how much more heat out of a sq ft of surface area at 700 as opposed to 600. Must be a relatively easy relationship.

Thanks, I'll get another themometer to measure the top surface temp. It'll be interedting to see the difference.

One more thing, what would the be the highest temp that I should be burning consistently without risking any damage to the Jotul? I don't know much about these new stoves, I've only had old recycled ones.

BTW that is some great data posted by Hotflame.

Status
Not open for further replies.