? about using a conventional boiler as backup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rembo

Feb 25, 2009
Glenside Pa.
I'm using a conventional oil boiler with a winter/summer hookup as a secondary heating source. I have an 80 gallon electric hot water heater that I dump heated water into. I'm having a problem controlling my heat . The thermastat is run into a Taco501 controller along with the oil circulation pump. I have a strapon aquastat mounted on the wood boiler feed pipe. It doesn't seem to be working. Could I simplify things by using a second thermastat?

Seems it would work the same with a boiler in my situation I have a gas forced air furnace and it only required using the existing therm set at 65F so if the boiler runs out of fuel and the temp drops it kicks on. I can see how this could kick on the oil boiler no problem beyond that I am not sure of the best way to control the water flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.