Above-roof chase to cover Class A chimney (per city code)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris87654

Nov 30, 2010
MO
Will be installing a Drolet Legend woodstove soon. Most is figured out, but think local code requires me to cover the stainless steel chimney with a chase, finished to match the exterior of the house. I called the inspector and asked if I need a chase since the chimney is in back/not visible from the street and I never got a call back. I assume I need a chase because all chimneys seem to have them in this area (though may have been done for aesthetics) - many houses have old Heatilator ZCs (ineffective for heating).

This is the regulation (most applies to chases from ground level, but last sentence could apply to roof chases):
"Chimney. Finished materials on exterior chimney surfaces shall be extended to within twelve (12) inches of the finished grade or terminate on a deck. The bottom of the chimney chase shall follow the finished grade at the foundation line. Exterior chimneys shall be enclosed and finished with identical materials on the exterior of the structure or masonry."

As it is, to get a 12' chimney (min spec by mfgr) measured from top of stove (seems some measure from floor of firebox), I'll have about 6.5 ft of pipe above roof - I'll need a chimney support since it's over 5' if there's no chase.

I can't find anything about roof-only chases on internet. At first, I figured I'd make it for appearance only (leaving the roof support), since it would be waterproof with flashing/storm collar, but then got concerned about high wind here (in MO "tornado alley") and how to anchor the chase to the roof. Also thought about future cleaning - would be nice if could keep top 2' section exposed so the clamp/section could be removed (and if not, it would need to be anchored well enough to lean a ladder against).

Should I try to ask the inspector again? or just submit a plan when I apply for a permit (with no mention of chase and see what he says)?

I'd still like to know about building these so any links/info is appreciated - I just want to get it going soon.

OH - important... There are cedar trees planted along the patio and an elm not far away (maybe 10-15 feet from chimney) - all are 10-20 feet higher than chimney. Should I cut these down? I've never seen any specs on this, but common sense says there must be a distance between a chimney and trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.