Absolute Steel Hybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The increased capacity of the Englander Madison will provide longer burn times. With the increased insulation and sealing there could be a notable improvement of a couple hours. 8 hrs is not unrealistic. How long were your average Century burn times in winter?

The century stove would be going good at 10 pm and by 3 am it was cooling down. That was with hard seasoned split oak. I say seasoned, maybe 1 full year but my moisture meter measuring from the middle of the log would show around 15% or less on average. typically I would get up to use the head and then go load it up again. It's been a reliable stove and easy to run but just not a good overnight burner. if I could get 7 solid hours out of a stove that would work. Thanks for all your help and replies.

IIRC the Century is about 1.4 cu ft.. If that is correct the Madison has a full cu. ft additional capacity. That should provide 6-8hr burn times depending on how hard the stove is being pushed. If you want still longer burn times then go up to the 3 cu ft Englanders or Drolets. Or break the piggy bank and get a Blaze King Sirocco 30.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlhfirelion
IIRC the Century is about 1.4 cu ft.. If that is correct the Madison has a full cu. ft additional capacity. That should provide 6-8hr burn times depending on how hard the stove is being pushed. If you want still longer burn times then go up to the 3 cu ft Englanders or Drolets. Or break the piggy bank and get a Blaze King Sirocco 30.

i'm redoing my pipe so if I did purchase the madison, would it be better to utilize single or double wall pipe from the stove to the support box? I will be going up and out thru my roof, straight shot, approx. 15'. I also plan to use the OAK unless the powers that be here have a good reason(s) why I would not. Thank you

My preference would be double-wall stove pipe. It will help draft and will stay cleaner.

Are you interested in the Absolute Steel? The Madison looks like a great stove, but it has a more peaked secondary burn technology. The absolute steel is a sophisticated hybrid that can be burned very low and slow. What that means is those days when it's not all that terribly cold you might be able to get 20-24 hours of heat and coals left for a reload.

Are you interested in the Absolute Steel? The Madison looks like a great stove, but it has a more peaked secondary burn technology. The absolute steel is a sophisticated hybrid that can be burned very low and slow. What that means is those days when it's not all that terribly cold you might be able to get 20-24 hours of heat and coals left for a reload.

I had my eyes set on the ASH yes, and that was why I posted in this thread, the long burn times are awesome. I do realize I took it a bit off target with the Madison conversation so I do apologize to the OP for hijacking the thread. Currently the ASH is outside the old budget so I'm having to figure out what I'm willing to settle for or if I am willing to go without a stove this winter. (you just know the first winter I do that will be the worst winter in my areas history lol) There is never a good time to have to replace a heat pump and then you add my sons kidney transplant medical bills and a stove is pretty far down on the list. I have been really impressed with the ASH tho and it isn't just a stove but a nice little work of art too. Everyone that has a woodstock brand stove seems to really like them. The madison does look like a decent stove tho and I didn't realize they made a decent stove as I thought they were just something to get by.

Last edited:
Reactions: JA600L
Just a thought. Does your state offer any tax credit for an efficient wood burning heater? MD offered 300 tax credit towards our IS purchase. We sold our old dutch west to help off set the new stoves cost

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just a thought. Does your state offer any tax credit for an efficient wood burning heater? MD offered 300 tax credit towards our IS purchase. We sold our old dutch west to help off set the new stoves cost

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I doubt it but I'll look into it. Usually AR only offers whatever the feds debut if I install the stove far enough to the north on my lot, I may see what Missouri has to offer. lol

Reactions: chance04
Status
Not open for further replies.