AC today........ Stove tomorrow!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinPiney

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
In the Pines, NJ
Well our april heat wave is on it's way outta here tonight. It's been 90+ degrees since saturday and tomorrow's high is 56 :ahhh: with the low tomorrow night around 40. That's good ol jersey weather for ya! I tried to live without the AC on but i just had to get it up and runnin. The house wasn't gettin below 75 at night.

So the AC is kickin today, and i'll be lightin the stove tomorrow.

Almost the same deal here. 90 and the A/C running but drops off a cliff with rain tomorrow. But I just hauled the wood out of the basement and we will just have to be cold.

Our stove is keeping us warm. There's been a cold breeze all day but it did get into the 50's. 30's tonight.

I chickened out and went out and covered up a quarter cord of softwood a few minutes ago.

Coupla weeks ago it was in the 80's for like 3 days. Really faked me out. Took all the brick outta my shop stove & brought the chimney top section & cap down to clean, ordered brick from Ace Hardware. Of course, then the weather went south big time. Some nights in the high 20's, days in the 30's. Had to break out an electric space heater. Today it was snowing. Picked up my bricks, had to cut 6 of them, overcame my fear and went on the wet 7/12 tile roof and replaced the chimney/cap, installed the brick and fired it up. Shoulda known better...last year I was burning into early June. OK now, Century's cruising at ~450 pipe surface temp & the shop's warming up nicely. Even the shop cats have forgiven me. Rick

Same thing here. But I put the cutoff at May 1st. I don't care if it gets into the 20's, I won't light that stove up after May day until October 1! That at least gives me 5 months off. As much as I love burning, I would simply be depressed about where I live if I HAD to burn for 8 out of 12 months!

pen

If my office was still in the basement I would probably be burning till early June again. I moved upstairs for the winter and cut wood consumption considerably. When it was 90 today it was just 64 down there. The stratification in this house is maddening sometimes. My wife is disabled so she is upstairs all day. Get the first floor warmed up and you could bake bread in the rooms up there because all of the solar gain is upstairs. Many times the power attic fan will be running, thermo on it set at 120, and it is cold downstairs.

BrotherBart said:
If my office was still in the basement I would probably be burning till early June again. I moved upstairs for the winter and cut wood consumption considerably. When it was 90 today it was just 64 down there. The stratification in this house is maddening sometimes. My wife is disabled so she is upstairs all day. Get the first floor warmed up and you could bake bread in the rooms up there because all of the solar gain is upstairs. Many times the power attic fan will be running, thermo on it set at 120, and it is cold downstairs.

Time to start reclaiming that heat from that attic for heating up spa water for those old bones of yours BB.

north of 60 said:
Time to start reclaiming that heat from that attic for heating up spa water for those old bones of yours BB.

I have thought many times about coming up with a way to move that heat downstairs. Of course the old bones are thought about every day. The creaking noises drive me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.