Accentra 52i insert installation advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterfield

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2013
New Hampshire
My 4" granite slab to create a raised hearth has been delayed and my fireplace installation is scheduled for Saturday. I called to reschedule but if I cancel this appointment, it could be a month before they can get here to install. Talking with the granite people and a masonry guy, they've suggested I scrap the original plan to have one piece of granite cutom cut to fit into the fireplace and on the surrounding floor-level brick hearth. Instead, they suggest I backfill the fireplace portion of the hearth floor with 4" of Quikrete, use a temporary 4" support piece of,something outside of the fireplace wall to support the front part of the stove until the granite arrives, then swap out the temp support with the granite slab. I'll admit right now I am not sure how to swap them yet but working on it. I know is,is "unique" but it's being driven by circumstances beyond my control. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I am just a dumb old mechanic,but it is almost nov.Why not just build a temporary wood deck with a piece of sheet metal?

A wood type support piece is one of the methods being suggested. I definitely don't want to hold off the install at this point. I can't believe I had trouble getting a nice slab of granite in the Granite State in a timely manner but that is how it's running for me at the moment. I know most of the stove weight will be supported by the concrete slab but anything that will support the front legs and front part of the stove should suffice until the permanent stone arrives. (I hope).

I do not quite understand,does the slab go into the fireplace?If so,why quickcrete if temp.?Also if you have to pay for removal and install,that means less money you will be saving,longer payback time.If you cannot do it yourself(r&r),build a temp platform,use stove,install granite next summer when you have to remove it for cleaning anyway.

Reactions: Peterfield
I do not quite understand,does the slab go into the fireplace?If so,why quickcrete if temp.?Also if you have to pay for removal and install,that means less money you will be saving,longer payback time.If you cannot do it yourself(r&r),build a temp platform,use stove,install granite next summer when you have to remove it for cleaning anyway.

Problem solved. My masonry guy will lower the brick front of my fireplace to "cover" the space between the trim piece and the top of the fireplace opening. That will work for the short term and we can take our time and change it if we want later. Looks like our stove is arriving with the snow this weekend.

Last edited:
Problem solved. My masonry guy will lower he brick front of my fireplace to "cover" the space between the trim piece and the top of the fireplace opening. That will work for the short term and we can take our time and change it if we want later. Looks like our storm is arriving with the snow this weekend.
Excellent

Reactions: Peterfield
Pellet stove is in - fired up - sitting in a very toasty living room. Pics to follow. Happy, happy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.