Accentra 52i Presale Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish916

Aug 17, 2011
Eastern PA, Southern Poconos
So I've been waffling on what to do with my zero clearance propane stove. After visiting a local fireplace showroom this past weekend with my wife, we are both leaning toward the Harman Accentra 52i. While we looked at the P-35i, the accentra won us over with its form and function. It's a good looking unit.

I have some questions that I'm hoping folks who own this unit can answer for me. I would also appreciate any feedback on your purchase and usage experiences with this product. If there are things you wish you did, I'd love to hear them. If there are things you're glad you did, I'd love to hear those too.

My first question is on the zero clearance box. The manual says that I will need to use the zero clearance box (Harman Zero Clearance Cabinet, Part # 1-00-574323) with this stove. The manual also says there are install instructions available on harman's site which I'm unable to find. Does anyone have access to the install instructions fro this zero clearance cabinet. I'm asking because I'm going to have to modify the current frame/hearth set up to accommodate this stove. This would have to be done before the installers get here, so I want to make sure I have everything framed to spec for that zero clearance box.

The other question I have is whether this unit can be hard-wired into my house electric. I see a plug in the manual, but I most certainly don't want to drag a plug across my hearth. My current propane stove is hardwired into the electrical system. Does anyone know if this can be done with this particular unit?

Lastly, has anyone used a battery back-up source they would recommend? I'm concerned that if we ever lost power this thing would smoke us out of the house. Power loss is a very real concern here in PA. I'm hoping this thing can heat the house at night. I would be extremely reluctant to leave it unattended for fear that a power outage would asphyxiate us in our sleep. Thoughts!?

I just had an accentra installed in June it was installed in a existing brick built fireplace so I didn't need a zero clearance box. I'm new to this too so will try to help what type of installation is it do u have an existing chimney 2 yes it can b hard wired by putting an outlet in behind stove note if u need to unplug it u will have to pull it out to do so . I decided not to wire it that way for that 3 harman has suggested a pure sine inverter that will run the stove off of a deep cell battery will see if I can find the info for u soon on that inverter.

Last edited:
I just had an accentra installed in June it was installed in a existing brick built fireplace so I didn't need a zero clearance box. I'm new to this too so will try to help what type of installation is it do u have an existing chimney 2 yes it can b hard wired by putting an outlet in behind stove note if u need to unplug it u will have to pull it out to do so . I decided not to wire it that way for that 3 harman has suggested a pure sine inverter that will run the stove off of a deep cell battery will see if I can find the info for u soon on that inverter.
Thanks. I started a post a while back that detailed my install setup with pics.https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/zero-clearance-pellet-options.128224/

I'd be replacing a zero clearance propane setup. The current setup is framed into the room. That's why I asked about direct power. I don't want to drag a power cord across the hearth. I do appreciate the feedback.

This I found from a different thread hope this helps
"Harman recommends either a Tripp Internet 750 or the APC BE750G. I just purchased the APC BE 750 from Amazon for $80.99 with free shipping. This unit also has a built in surge supressor. I have it installed, but we have not had a power failure yet. Maybe I should test it by pulling the plug."

Here's a link this guy showed every thing he did with measurements and pics.
ImagesReport images

Here's a link this guy showed every thing he did with measurements and pics.
ImagesReport images
Wow thanks! I think that link took me to all pictures related to the unit. Was there a specific point of reference at that link I should check out?

Another presale question for folks that may know, or may be dealers. Do you know if Harmon offers customized cast surrounds with this unit. Here is my pickle. (see picture). The opening for my current firebox is approximately 40.5" wide by 36.5" high. My current framed dimensions are larger than what I need for the 52i, but according to Harman, the 52i cast surround is 32 and 1/8 in high. This means if I installed that unit against my current fireplace surround I would have a gap at the top between the top of the cast surround and my actual fireplace surround. I wouldn't have a gap on the left or right side of the unit as the cast surround extends over the fireplace surround by approximately 3/4in on both sides. While I realize I will probably have to pull down the existing surround to rip out the current propane insert, I was hoping to repurpose it with the Accentra to save bucks. I really don't want to go through a full blown reno on the entire fireplace to make this fit. I would love to hear from folks on what they recommend. I called one local Harman dealer and he thought Harman wouldn't make a taller cast surround- but I'm not sure that's true. Thoughts?
47363-f9556663775fde3be7a0e3e8aed66bc0.jpg

Buy some wood and stain it same color u can get a nice pice at lowes and some stain couple finish nails mabe a couple hours to close up that gap nicely. I had same prob only w just the brick fireplace so I tiled it to the correct size for the accentra looks nice but u will have it easier just by putting in a trim pice at the top

I would also ask ur dealer about clearances to combustibles not sure that set up will work if that is a wood finish ur accentra will b setting against

I found this in the installation manual

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 265
I believe that the zero clearance box takes care of what's behind the stove but in front of the stove and sides I'm sure u have to go with the measurements I sent take all this info to ur dealer and get his opinion show him a pic of ur fireplace and explain everything u want to do so u have a good idea what needs to b done.also those measurements in the pic I sent u if u measure from the points they have there every measurement in the pic extends past ur standard cast surround for non combustibles

Last edited:
Here's a pic of a zero clearance box installed for an accentra. Doesn't appear to have anything to do with clearance to combustibles on the front side of the stove

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 882
Well that's interesting. That pic almost looks photoshopped to me because outside of the box is opaque over the face of the tile surround. Almost like there is some type of film over the surround. I'm sure it's not, but it does look curious. This is interesting though. So that ZC box bumps right up against that tile surround. I'm assuming that is not a combustible surface?

Big Papa- thanks for sharing that link! Great stuff there! I'm wondering if I have to tear down my sheetrock for them to vent the stove? I'm currently vertically vented up through the attic and out the roof. 7in flex with 4in center pipe. All that will have to be replaced as you can't use flex with ZC box, but I'm hoping the installers can vent it without tearing up all that existing sheet rock!!

If ur stove is on an outside wall and ur sure they can't use ur existing venting they can run a short pipe directly out through the wall behind stove looks like a dryer vent outside. I went back and looked at the pic of ur home i don't see any reason they couldn't vent through ur outside wall prevent tearing up ur drywall.they maybe able to use the existing vent though would definitely hit them with that question before they install though

Last edited:
Good feedback. I'm certain they can't use my existing venting as it's flex venting rated for the propane unit. Harman says that the ZC boxes cannot use flex. I wouldn't want to use that existing anyway. I'm not sure I want to direct vent out the back either for issues that may create during an overnight power outage. A better natural draft if I vent up through the roof. That said, more labor and cost is likely to incur to go up and out. We're having the pros stop by next week to evaluate what would be needed for the install. Fingers crossed they don't have to tear out sheet rock for this. The current stove is framed into the room on a bump out. I know that the inside of the "box" is also framed with fire rock too, So you have inside and outside sheetrock to contend with. Total mess. My current stove is framed into a larger rough opening that is required by the Harman ZC box, so if anything, we should only have to add a 2X4 here and there. Let's hope so. I so want to move forward with this stove- but if this install gets too out of hand my wife might put the kabosh on the whole thing!!

Wait till u get the pros take a look at before ya throw in the towel they most likely have handled these installs 100 times and make things very simple for u. My wife loves how the accentra looks in our house she says it looks like a fancy pice of furniture

Reactions: Irish916
So we had the installers stop by yesterday to assess the install of the Accentra 52i. As I suspected, the front wood mantel setup has to go. The existing tile hearth is fine, but I would probably replace the whole setup. They recommended a direct-vent setup to go out the back and out the exterior wall. I asked about whether it made sense to replace the existing flex and vent vertically through the roof (like the existing). They said no and suggested there is a higher install cost for going that route. They talked me out of the Harman battery backup solution stating that you could probably get a small size home generator for the same cost- which was true given that Harman unit is $500-$600. I asked about the rail kit, and they said if I don't have a raised hearth, it's not worth the money. I asked if I needed to tear out the existing sheet rock facing for them to complete the install, and they said no, they go through the back of the house. I wanted to ask about this because I've never heard of this before. Keep in mind my house doesn't have a fireplace bump out (dog house) It's framed into the room. They said they pull down some vinyl siding, cut a whole in the sheeting and access the unit through the back of the house. They said they replace the sheeting with caulk, rewrap the house and tuck-tape the edges and replace the siding. They said they are in and out without making much of any mess in the living room. Does this process sound familiar to anyone!?

Status
Not open for further replies.