Accentra D-Fan Growl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhirePharm

Feb 3, 2009
Sartell MN
First timer here...

I've been running an Accentra insert since September, and around Thanksgiving the stove started making a deep, growling noise. The stove is noisy enough, but this was new, and I can actually hear it in most places in the house. Not unbearable, but annoying. I know it's not the auger because it's not dependent on when the auger light comes on, and it's not the combustion fan since I can turn the stove off and the noise disappears during the cooldown cycle. Which leaves the distribution fan. Funny thing is, it's not constant--it'll grumble for a half a second, quit, then come back for 17 seconds. Or 2, 3, 8 seconds or 2 minutes. Then it'll quit for 5 seconds again...you see what I mean. The sound around the house is similar to what you'd hear if a snowblower or lawn mower were running outside with all the house windows closed. Kind of a muted growl.

Anyway, what can I do about this? Other posts I've read have talked about dampening the fan housing with some high temp silicone. Is this an option or does someone have another suggestion?

Any help would be appreciated,

Jason

I'd try cleaning it. The fan cage might have sucked up some dust bunnies . You could bench test while it is out.

Hey there Accentra Insert owner as well. I got my stove back in october so we are in the same boat. I have noticed the same Growl noise as well. It seems though it only occurs when the stove is on HIGH. Meaning the fan is on high I only burn in stove temp mode and the temp dial is set to 80 or higher and the flame is BIG. I usually don't run the stove at that degree for long periods but I do hear the sound you describe very well. I thought initially it was an install flaw with vibrations. I think it's normal. I am not complaining and I'd live with it. As long as its trouble free and it heats my home a little extra noise will dround out the crying baby in the background. I also am very meticulous about my stove. I do a full cleaning every week. Vacuum out the entire fire box area, scrape the pot till completly spoptless, and clean my heat exchangers. It is a very clean running stove and it totally runs better when clean. Kinda like when you get your car washed! For some odd reason it seems to run and feel better to drive. I think your noise might be normal.

Well, thanks for the replies. I suppose I'll take a look at the fan once the burning season is over and I clean the thing out completely. I can accept that it may be a normal thing, but I used it for 2 months without noticing it, so I gotta think there's a reason for it. I'm pretty good about periodic maint. as well, but periodic maintenance has nothing to do with the dist. fan, so I guess it'll wait. I suppose it's a preference thing, but it bugs the heck out of me. Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions...

Jason

ps Otherwise, this stove has been absolutely stellar in its primary function. Lots of heat...

hi,
my 3yr old fs accentra does the same from time to time. my conclusion is the slide gate struggles to close. i'm gonna sharpen the gate in the off season to see if that helps any.

Thanks...

So, what is the slide gate and what does it do? And how would you go about sharpening it? Is this some sort of "muffler bearing" advice?

Jason

Slide plate is what meters the pellets from the hopper into the auger..... Removing it and putting a sharp edge will aid in the life of the auger and chain drive...
If it is the distribution blower then as the others have mentioned it may need to be cleaned....
If you have pets and hardwood floors the pet hair WILL get sucked into the blower....... Dont wait till the end of the season to check it....
Can you describe the growl? I think Ivanhoe is most likely correct that it is the slide plate chomping into a pellet...(if it's like a squeal and growl.....maybe a creaking noise is the best way to describe it)
best way to tell is to observe the sprocket on the auger and see where the cam follower is in relation to the horseshoe cam...

Well, like I said, it sounds like a snowblower or lawnmower noise, if you're sitting inside the house and the snowblower is going outside. Kinda like a muted growl. It's a resonance, always the same frequency, and occurs independently of the auger motor engaging. It's random, very intermittent, so I really think it has something to do with the distribution fan rather than slide plate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was a slide plate issue, during a cooldown cycle (such as when turning the stove off) when the distribution fan isn't running, shouldn't the sound continue since the auger (and also slide plate) also continues to turn during that cycle? The sound disappears. Anyway, I just need to pull the thing out and take a look at the fan. Maybe if I bang on it with a big sledgehammer...

does it sound like a helicopter way off in the distance????? very faint.......
if so It sounds like woofing........ that is, the stove is sucking air from where ever it can usually through bad gaskets or an open hopper...
most prominent with larger flames or a high rate of burn..

good advice, all! Also could be a loose flame guide, its cast iron, but can flutter and cause a growl as well........try a new flame guide.......this did happen on early Accentra Insert models, they subsequently changed the flame guide design. As GVA says, could also be a fan thats been offbalanced due to dirt or hair (tho id think that would be a constant noise, made worse at higher RPMS), the slide plate is unlikely to be the cause, as thats usually a squeel, and only when feeding.....sharpening the front of the slide plate is fine, but doesnt serve alot of purpose.....just helps the slide plate shear off the occaisional long pellet. There is no chain drive in the insert, and in fact, the new UL feeder system has no chain drive at all. Kinda dates the unit.......if your accentra, advance, XXV has a chain, its not the UL feeder.

I just posted the same question or issue with my Quadrafire Sante Fe earlier. To me it sounds like a palm sander when you put alot of force down on it while running. The sander makes that deep humming noise. Sounds like we have the same issues. I think it's an issue with air coming into the stove. Friction of the air against the blowers/fan. I'm not an expert. It's not metal on metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.