Accentra draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerjoe

Aug 18, 2006
New Brunswick, Kanata
Hi,

The guy finally came over today to do a draft test to my accentra.
It seems that in high and low draft it read -0.55.

He then turned the draft screw all the way down and the low draft only dropped to -0.45.
Is this normal?

He explaoned that it was because I have a direct vent straight up thru the roof so it takes over and makes the low draft stay high.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to get the correct draft?

Cheers

Hammerjoe said:
Hi,

He then turned the draft screw all the way down and the low draft only dropped to -0.45.
Is this normal?

He explaoned that it was because I have a direct vent straight up thru the roof so it takes over and makes the low draft stay high.

Cheers
Add another 90 in the pipe...................JUST KIDDING
My pipe is short and pretty much straight ie: less restrictions my draft won't go any lower
I know dealers will soon be saying it's not an ideal setup... This was what my dealertold me to do and it was years ago before I found this forum, and I still repeatedly called the dealer and said is this ok... are you sure.... it is the minimum requirement listed by Harman, so I went with it.
So dependant on restrictions and length of pipe (and electrical) your draft will vary and in some cases never go as low as the -.35 to -.45 for low draft
Mine is -.64 on high -.50 on low draft.
I've had service guy's here to check my stove for the gearmotor problems in the past and they checked the draft and have not said anything about it being so high.
Therefore I wouldn't worry about it but the experts will be here soon.

Hammerjoe said:
Hi,

Is this normal?

Cheers

ermmm...did he do the test with a fire or without? Its supposed to be done WITHOUT a fire, ergo, since theres no real temperature differential with a closed stove, his explanation is kinda, well, in question. Out magnahelic "pegs out" at -.5.......and most of the installs we do "peg out" after anstalling, even after trying to adjust the low draft pot. I think Id reset that pot to somewhere in the middle and go with it. Thing is, as your stove gets dirtier, your draft will decrease somewhat....ive seen plugged units read 0. By setting your low draft that low, its most likely ok. We use the reading as a benchmark in diagnosing future issues. Write down the values you have in your owners manual, for easy reference later. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.