Accentra insert wing nut stripped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
i bought a 2004 accentra insert that has sat unused for a long time. I removed the combustion blower but 2 of the wing nuts were realy rusted up and the heads snapped off. How would I go about getting these out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 156
Soak the area for a couple of days with PB Blaster or a like product, then drill the center out and use an easy-out.

http://www.amazon.com/SpeedOut-Dama...=UTF8&qid=1459006792&sr=8-1&keywords=easy+out

http://www.amazon.com/Blaster-8-PB-...TF8&qid=1459006818&sr=8-2&keywords=pb+blaster

or

Use a torch to repeatedly heat and cool the screw and area to break the corrosion bond, then drill and easy-out.

Whatever way you choose, don't rush it. It can only get worse if you do. I know from experience...

When reassembling use an anti-seize product:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8007...&keywords=Permatex+Anti-Seize+Lubricant+80071

It looks like there is enough there to get pair of vise grips on. If so then heat it up with a set of torches and use vise grips and back it out.

I was about to tackle this. Went and bought some reverse drill bits,some kobalt bits and screw extractor kit. I have to say I was not looking forward to the job. The wife needed an oil change on the Kia so I brought that to our mechanic. I got him into pellets about 4 years ago and he now has s p68.got to talking about my project stove and I told him about the stripped screws. He offered to do it for me if I could get the stove to his shop. So I brought it there early this morning and he had it done in about 20 mins. So I'm in the process now if putting everything back together and looking forward to a test fire

Last edited:
Reactions: Lake Girl
So... how did the mechanic get the screws out? Use a method suggested?

Bet you're glad you talked him into that pellet stove:)

I'm impressed that you carted around a few hundred pound stove to have it fixed.

But don't hit it with a torch right after you PB Blaster the thing! That go boom.

Well, yeah....that's what the Darwin Awards are all about....

So... how did the mechanic get the screws out? Use a method suggested?

Bet you're glad you talked him into that pellet stove:)
He drilled em out. Hit it with a center punch first and then drilled it out starting with a small bit 1st and then increasing in size till if was almost the outer skin of the screw left. Hammer and screwdriver was able to loosen up the rest of it. Stove realy isn't that heavy once all the cast is removed. Two guys can carry it easily. Realy wasn't a big deal to transport. I started to put things back together last night so I hope to spark it up this weekend.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.