ACCENTRA THERMISTER LOCATION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retired_Ted

Aug 21, 2006
Chambersburg PA USA
I'm the proud owner of a new Accentra pellet stove as of noon today. Cooked it for about 2 hours to get rid of the surface oil and have a question regarding thermister location. I plan on putting it about 2-3 feet from the stove out of the warm draft coming out of the stove itself. It will be about 3 feet off the floor - I am open to other suggestions too.

Hey ted congrats on the stove, as far as location of thermistor my brother in law has an accentra and his probe is on the floor just behind the stove...
Mine on the advance is stuck to the wall about 3 feet above but behind the stove out of the way of the discharge of the distribution vents. I've had it this way for a couple of years but am thinking of moving it farther away than this maybe 10-12 feet...

Best advice that I can give is experiment experiment experiment......

On another note on your Harman set your room temp control (this controls the distribution blower speed) between low and medium if you go any higher it will actually blow cool air out because the blower removes heat from the heat exchanger too quickly.

good luck and let us know if you need anymore advice............

Thanks for the advice - perhaps I'll look for some really nice 2 cond. wire to extend the thermister probe. I really think Harmon should supply more. The installer actually wanted to place the thermister above the surround extension - can't understand why that would work. Guess I'll have to pull the stove out of the hearth frame far enough to splice additional wire onto the probe. I assume it's not the shielded variety. Thanks again for the advice.

I don't believe its shielded, shielded cable only works if you ground one end, usually the control end. Mine has a black and red wire to sade terminals.

Just a bit of advice when dealing with thermisters and rtds it is not recommended to splice them it may affect the calibration on the controller that is reading them.

Can you do it? yes but I dont recommend wire nuts or butt splices.. Try soldering them and then heat shrink over the connection. The wire will not have any drop in its resistance if you do it this way... ;-)

yes, you can extend the wire to the thermister, but as GVA says, use good practice in doing so.....solder the splice, and heathshrink it as well. As for the location of the probe.....if you have an AccentraINSERT, try putting the probe near the intake of the distribution fan (under the unit), we do many this way, as its generally low there (cooler room air is lower), and its got a pretty constant airflow going by the probe.....if you look under the unit when you pull it out, you'll see you can zip-tie it to the frame rail right near the dist fan, and you wont be looking at that wire all the time. If its a FS Accentra, you can put it near the distribution fan as well, but make sure you anchor it, otherwise its really unpleasant when the probe falls into the fan!

Status
Not open for further replies.