Accessories you wouldn't do without

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
Besides Stove and Seasoned wood

What else do you really like to have?
What did you get that you didn't end up caring for?

I have to have my gloves for the stove. I've got a pair from HD, going on the 3rd year. I'll replace them this year.

I don't care for all of the tools in a "fireplace set". The poker and the tongs are OK, but the shovels are a waste. I ended up with a cheapo Walmart shovel, that does a way better job.

Oh, add the ash can (for the ashes, not "our" ash can :) !) to "must haves" .

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I have to have my gloves for the stove. I've got a pair from HD, going on the 3rd year. .

Are they a specific kind of gloves?

Bought a pickaroon a few weeks ago and been working wood with it for the past couple weeks. It's worth having for moving manageable pieces of wood. Cheers!

I agree with Eileen. Those sets you get with a little shovel and broom and whatnot are not very useful for me. I do love my welding gloves and love the Super Cedars I received as a free trial, I will be ordering some more. Most of my fires will be with paper and kindling but those super cedards are nice when I am gonna be in a rush.

One thing I find kind of useless are those blowers that you can install on the back of some stoves. I would rather use a nice looking tower fan in the corner of the room. Much more quiet and practical to push air around...

Andrew

I have welding gloves. They allow you to pick up flaming wood, even if only for a short time :p

I don't burn my hands and arms loading the stove with them.

Kind like this

d0695c4f-d4ef-48e0-a9bf-e718f557259d_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I could certainly do away w/ the ash bin on my stove. (Englander 30)

Find my homemade ash rake (just an old poker w/ the poker head taken off and a 5x5 in piece of metal on the end) the most useful tool I have.

pen

Yep an ash rake is a must have. That and tongs if you load N/S. Made my ash rake a few years ago out of the stand from an old cheapo fireplace set.

Attachments

• ashrake.jpg
    ashrake.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,015
Accessories, oh gosh, let's see. Well, there's my man purse, of course (can't leave home without it). Oh, and my earrings. I have a couple of belts I really like. Oh, and hats...I love hats. I have all kinds of hats. And I have some absolutely dreamy shoes. Oh, wait!...no!...you're talking about woodburning accessories. Hmmm...nevermind, TMI, sorry. :red: Rick

pen said:
I could certainly do away w/ the ash bin on my stove. (Englander 30)

Find my homemade ash rake (just an old poker w/ the poker head taken off and a 5x5 in piece of metal on the end) the most useful tool I have.

pen

I agree with Pen, if I could. I have an ash bin and after a couple days in the middle of the cold part of the season
it's the chore I least like the most. Although, I wonder how often a stove without an ash bin would have to emptied?

As far as accesories, I don't use gloves, rarely use the shovel and the brush collects dust. I use my poker most of all
I can set up each load with the poker and move anything I need to in the middle of a burn as well.

Gloves, shovel and ash can with cover, I use the poker sometimes, and I have a small dust pan and brush to sweep up around the hearth.

Stove wise or otherwise. Whatever else you have that's not in your sig. Or if you really want to tell me what's in your closet, like Rick.

I did burn my arms last spring, so I need to pick up some welding gloves.

What about stove thermometer? One on the top and one on the pipe?

I'll have to go google pickaroon.

I need to get a small dustpan and brush. The broom that came with my set is really ineffective. It looks like a broom from the middle ages and really doesn't sweep anything. The bristles are extremely course.

This should do fine for me though...

B-1006_lg.gif

tall indoor wood rack that holds a few days supply of wood, small shovel to empty the ashes every few days.a large trash can just outside with a lid, small dustpan and instead of a brush i use a wash cloth thats damp to clean up the crums and go over the glass once in a whyle. a poker to move things around, an eco fan and a themometer on the top.and gloves. i did the long welder gloves but have moved on to short work gloves. and dont let me forget some eucaylptus oil in a small can with water to help me breathe easier. i thing this is most of them, pete

Welding gloves, rake, brush, to clean up my mess and I just got a semi circle log rack that holds 1/3 cord of wood, should be less trips to the woodpile this year.

My only accessory is an ash shovel. It was here when I bought the place, and I use it as a poker as well as for removing ash.

Kathleen,

Perhaps you could try an InfraRed Thermometer? I received mine as a christmas gift and use it all over. Not only does it work great on the stove (it'll show how many hot and cold spots there really are around your stove pipe and stove, it's actually quite non-uniform) Works great for measuring pan temp in the kitchen, checking the oven, finding poorly insulated spots around windows and the house in general, I had to monitor floor temp when putting epoxy paint down in my new garage, it worked great for that, etc. etc.

I still have stove top thermometers but for a multitasker that is reasonably priced, that might be a good bet.

pen

Extra long welding gloves (so I can reach way into my side-loading stove if needed).
Ash rake.
Small galvanized trash can with lid to dump ashes into.
Wood bin near stove to hold a couple days worth of wood.
Wood carrier to bring wood in off the porch without dropping junk on the floor.
Stovetop thermometer (mostly during learning curve, but useful thereafter).
Short handled ash shovel and brush, used only during spring cleaning.
SuperCedars!

And for wood management outside:
Covered storage racks for 3 cord, away from the house.
A couple of sets of "stackit brackets" to set up quick wood racks if I suddenly scrounge extra wood.
Half-cord storage rack for the back porch.
Small trailer pulled by the riding mower to haul wood around.
Small wood splitter.
Fiskars splitting axe.
Small electric chain saw for the occasional long piece.

I agree with welding gloves, but not all are made the same. With you being a woman, you might have trouble finding a pair small enough to fit your hand. It would be better to try some on and get a feel of them. Some are made with a heavier leather and more heat resistance.

As for the pickaroon, I have one and only use it for rolling logs I want or have cut in the woods. They are great for moving a bucked piece from one place to another without having to carry or bend over.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I agree with welding gloves, but not all are made the same. With you being a woman, you might have trouble finding a pair small enough to fit your hand. It would be better to try some on and get a feel of them. Some are made with a heavier leather and more heat resistance.

And some are made from Zetex ;)

xmas002.jpg

Blatant overkill I know, but I got a really good discount on them and I can literally rearrange flaming logs in the firebox with no tools whatsoever.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Besides Stove and Seasoned wood

What else do you really like to have?
What did you get that you didn't end up caring for?

I'm surprised that some did not put down wife for #3!

The only thing I don't have and would really like to have is a wife that would be with me when cutting wood. We used to do this together and it was an enjoyable time. Sadly she can no longer do this but she still does whatever she is capable of doing. For example, she brings in overnight wood. She cleans ashes whenever it needs done. If I am not there she will keep the fire going.

Some things I'd hate to be without includes an axe, cant hook, chain saw, atv, trailer, log splitter and a big stack of seasoned firewood. We also have a good ash holder, shovel and poker. We also have 2 stove thermometers; one on stove top and the other on stove pipe. Another would be a small fan or two.

As for the gloves, it is difficult to understand anyone not having a good pair. For the females, Home Depot carries some welding gloves that are small enough for the smaller hands. You might have to buy a pair every year but at $10 that is a good price and saves many burns.

What industry are those gloves typically used in?

Badfish740 said:
Shipper50 said:

And some are made from Zetex ;)

xmas002.jpg

Blatant overkill I know, but I got a really good discount on them and I can literally rearrange flaming logs in the firebox with no tools whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.