Accessory Chimney Opening in Kitchen that is now closed off.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadz

Feb 8, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hello everyone! My first post.

I have just purchased my first home which has a two flue chimney. I pan on putting an insert into the Fireplace, which is one one flue. The second flue is connected to the oil furnace in the basement, but also has a 'thimble' (?) opening in the kitchen which has since had a metal cap put on it. I assume this would have been for a kitchen stove at one point?

I am wondering what the proper way to seal up the opening would be?

Attachments

• Chimney.jpg
    Chimney.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 184
  • chimeny_in_kitchen.jpg
    chimeny_in_kitchen.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 182
i think what your asking about is called a flue stop. or at least that is the easiest way to do it:

http://www.sandhillwholesale.com/wo....html?osCsid=e976842dbe9aae1a73a0220d909506df

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-imperial-flue-stop-bm0353--pi-1274074.html

considering where it is, you may want to silicone it in.

for come extra work.. i'd probably cut a circile of sheetmetal, leaving 3-4 tabs to help wedge/attachit in closer to the furnace flue, then attach on of the above items for neatness.

man, you can step on my toes any day. you the man.
(i was searching for something to answer his post, and bored at work, knew there had to be a better answer).

I was actually thinking that it might be good to block the opening to the thimble at the flue, as it currently acts as a bit of a shelf that debris can build up on (which after re-reading moondogs post is what he was suggesting too).

When I took of the cover that is there now (made of galvanized metal) there was some buildup in the opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.