Accuratcy of themometor on a insert..can I trust it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulie

Nov 27, 2007
SW Mich.
As you see here in pic, top right of door is the only place to put it. I'm thinking it's probably 50* to 75* off. from what the stove top, and or stove pipe would read... looking for an opinion from more seasoned wood burners.Most out there seem to be burning 5 to 6oo* Does anyone know abouts a small insert should be? Regency's customer service leaves alittle to be desired !! sale man said it should easily go 500* seems a little hot in a zc

Attachments

• P1030095.JPG
    P1030095.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 431
I don't have my thermometer yet, but when I take temps on my Regency I3100 with a digital it reads 200 degrees less on the left side near the door handle compared to the middle between the air discharges. I don't know if its something to do with the door or not.

Shipper

Mines a DW insert and my gauge sits top dead center of the door and avg's 475-500 during good secondary burn.

T

I have the Regency i2400, Just got it and I'm prettymuch sure I'm not doing much right. I have the same question. I tried setting the therm right on top of the shelf, but I think that the temp is artificially lowered when u turn on the fan/blower. Good question, hopefully some pro's can help us out.

yea, I know jhoff, I don't have but 1 3/4 in above the door...no room for it. I do have about a two in lip, but that temp really goes down, I know it isn't accurate...or even close. I tried for the 24oo, but I was 3/4 in shy of it fitting. Do you have any other issues with that 2400?

Shipper50 said:
I don't have my thermometer yet, but when I take temps on my Regency I3100 with a digital it reads 200 degrees less on the left side near the door handle compared to the middle between the air discharges. I don't know if its something to do with the door or not.

Shipper
man, 200 sounds like alot for such a short move can't imagine it would be a door problem on such a new stove

Shipper50 said:

Shipper
curious...what does your digital read for temp?

wood wacker said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

Not enough if you have been following my post about my insert. I might have been off 50 or so degrees with my reading as I took one an hour ago and it read 315 in the middle and 265ish near the door in the upper left corner.

I am still working on getting the right setting on my insert.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
wood wacker said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

Not enough if you have been following my post about my insert. I might have been off 50 or so degrees with my reading as I took one an hour ago and it read 315 in the middle and 265ish near the door in the upper left corner.

I am still working on getting the right setting on my insert.

Shipper
let me know what you find out,are those your average readings? have you been up to 500*? I have not...420* or so best for me. little disapionted at this piont. I'm sure it's some thing I'm doing, or not doing. don't know for sure

How fast are you running the fan? If I run a fan it is on the absolute lowest throttle possible. I like a hot stove. Mine easily runs 550 to 650 with out much effort. I get nervous around 700.

The fan will cause the unit to cool.

derbygreg said:
I'd bet with out the fan on, it would hit near 500. Yes, I know it defeats the purpose without it on
I run it on the low setting, high will suck the temp right out her. I know, some of my problem is not the best seasoned wood, but then again, with my insert, I don't have a good place to put a thermometer for a accurate reading, so I may be running hotter than it shows. and yes, with a insert afan is a must !

Not sure about the accuracy either. I would think you would get different readings depending on where the thermometer is placed. Also not sure how accurate the thermometer itself is. I put mine in the upper right hand corner just above the door hinges by recommendations from others. I have never tried it anywhere else. But I typically run in the range of 450-500 deg. Of course if this reading is not accurate that could be 500-600 or 300-400. I know it's hot when I am lying in bed and hear the stove start making the "tink......tink......tink" sound for a while. That's usually about the time I get up to check on things and it is around 600-650 and cranking out the heat. I should get another thermometer and place it somewhere else for comparison.

thermometer002.jpg

WW:

I gotta tell you I had higher hopes for the Regency/wood burning experiece...
- Like most of the new folks, I'm finding that good wood is hard to come by. i have a supply of very green to semi-green oak and a supply of sopping wet assorted hardwood...so I'm starting off in the hole.
- I'm also tending to burn with the damper out (more air) because I'm paranoid about creosote + and the greater airsupply helps burn the less-than-desirable wood.

Q: Does anyone know how long (or what stage of burning) wood has to be so that I can feel comfortable dampering down and consequently lowering my temp (which is way off as acknowledged earlier).

I paid $3200 for the i2400 + SS liner installed...currently having a little buyer's regret...
Any and all tips are appreciated.

jhoff, welcome. I think this has little to do with the stove and lot to do with being prepared. You would have the same feeling if you installed an oil stove and there was no one to deliver in your area. Or if the only available supplier delivered oil with water in it.

With dry wood, you have a decent heater. Search around hard for good wood and set aside the current lot for next year. You will pay a premium at this time of year for really good dry wood, but it will be worth it. The stove will likely put out double the heat and should impress you with it's ease of use. Another alternative might be to burn compressed fuel for this winter?

How happy are you with the installation? Is this an interior or exterior chimney? If exterior, is the liner insulated? Is there a block-off plate?

begreen, tell me something, I have a exterior chimney, built in a wooden chase. question....when they ran the new ss liner inside the old pipe, would you concider that as being insulated? Also I
am told that the baffles in the regency inserts works as a block off plate...would you consider this to be correct? think Ill post this question to others , and what I learn here

"A man with a thermometer know what the temperature is, a man with two thermometers is never sure." - Corollary to Segal's Law

BGreen, Thanks for the welcome & the assurance. You are right about me not being sufficientlly prepared...I'll consider your suggestions. JHOFF

Status
Not open for further replies.