Acorns right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
image.jpg
I assume they are, however they are falling from what I thought to be an Elm onto the metal roof of the pole barn. This is the tree and the leaves are on a sapling directly under it, same leaves but I can't get a good pic of the leaves on the large tree. I'd guess it's an easy 2' through there, about 10' up from the ground

image.jpg image.jpg

It looks real close to a Chestnut Oak but I'm not 100% sure.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Have you removed the caps from the nut ? The leaf is not from an Oak
Elm possibly . Link to pictures of acorns
http://www.canstockphoto.com/images-photos/acorns.html
No, I picked them off the ground like that. I have a white oak in front of the house with acorns like the link shows. I assumed that tree was an Elm by the bark. I'll have to google chestnut oak, little digger. It's a massive tree, I'd say 50-60' tall easy

I'm thinking another tree in the yard is possibly a chestnut oak, but it's not bearing any acorns. I previously thought it was an Elm. Same leaves and bark as far as I can tell. They're 75 yards apart

The caps on the acorns really help to ID the type of Oak. Your acorns look oblong like some type of White Oak.
You may have Chestnut Oak, but your leaf pics look like Elm.
Maybe some dead leaves on the ground?

The leaf pics are similar to the one dropping the acorns, I'm thinking the small tree with the leaves is elm. The leaves on the tree dropping the acorns are more rounded at the serrated edge but the lowest branch is kinda high to get good pics with my iPhone. I'll have to get some when they start falling. As for the acorns I only found ones with no caps. I'll have to poke around and see if some still have the caps but they are falling pretty far and most are bouncing off the metal roof of the pole barn. Mrs Chumley had me pretty busy today and I'm also trying to figure out why my truck won't run

Here's a few caps I just picked off the ground
image.jpg

Leaves. Got lucky and found them on the ground
image.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Chestnut oak it is. Does it burn like white oak? Not that I'm going to cut it down, just wondering where it falls on the BTU chart
Edit: Google says its in the white oak family

Last edited:
I checked several charts listing BTU's for firewood, and not one list Chestnut Oak. Personally I would go with the BTU Ratings of White oak which are fairly decent since it is in the same family. Some of the charts show as low as 24 and some as high as 25.7 M BTU.

One thing I do know for sure is it heats well. I've had one whole season in recent years where that was the only thing I had burned for heat. The Chestnut Oak! :)

I would definately plant some of those. That oak will come down eventually. Needs a replacement.

My youngest male boxer has been eating them. That dog is just, well nuts! He eats anything. Found some small light bulb bases last week, the ones like the electric candles people put in their windows. We are getting our bathroom redone and most of the stuff is piled in the dining room, guess he found them appetizing. That said, I doubt those acorns will do anything to him haha!
Applesister, I'll be picking up some for replanting. How many would you suggest? We have almost 5 wooded acres here and it joins a lot more GSK owns, but most of theirs turns into farm fields. Should I just plant them in the ground random places or start them in a pot then transfer them? Should I keep them and plant them in the Spring? This will be something new to me so any suggestions will be helpful
Also, this tree never dropped acorns like it is now. It's raining them down on the metal roof, we have been here 9 years and I never heard it like now. Any reason for that? It's not doing the death dance is it? I have enough ash and cherry dead/dying here. Wait until the underbrush is dying off and I can get pics of the huge cherry that finally broke, that trunk has to be every bit of 40" and it snapped 10+ feet off the ground and is hung up there. I'm in no hurry to get after that one

I have a "thing" for oak trees . . . probably because growing up my family owned over 100 acres of land, but there were very few oak trees.

Where I live now I have all kinds of oaks . . . and so every Fall when I have acorns falling I typically clean up a bunch and "plant" them. In some years I've over-wintered them by storing them inside the cool garage for a winter before planting . . . at other times I have simply moved some leaf litter or scuffed a small hole in the ground with my shoe and lightly covered them. I figure critters may get some . . . some may not germinate . . . but I play the odds and as a result there are all kinds of small oak trees starting to come up.

I know I'll never get the benefit of seeing these trees in their majestic adult hood . . . or harvest them . . . but it gives me a good feeling knowing that perhaps some day a person will be walking this small piece of heaven that I am tending and will see these oaks and enjoy the view . . . or the firewood.

Play "squirrel". Dig small hole. Plant.
I'll get on that tonight maybe, my son has baseball practice and if I can I will, if not tomorrow night or the weekend. I picked up around 100 acorns for now

You always plant the white oak family as soon as they drop in the fall. They will send out a tap root over winter and the top will appear in the spring. A good first approximation for planting depth is 2 to 3 times the acorn's size.

Just went out to double check and we have 8 of these chestnut oaks. Our pointer lab mix loves to play/eat the acorns and chase the squirrels away that live in them. I had to take a few down when we moved in and they are definitely a high btu producing wood. These trees will self seed our whole neighborhood is filled with mostly all big tall oaks. Have been collecting acorns for the wife also. She wants to fill jars of them to put on the tables for our sons baptism party in October. Thanks for bringing this information up.

Give him a big hug for me. I just lost mine 5 days ago. I loved that dog so much.
Will do, brother. We have 3 boxers, dad, mom and one from our last litter. Great dogs, sorry for your lossimage.jpg

Left to right dad, mom and son last winter helping me with the firewood. Golden retriever in the background is 15 yrs old and still getting around

Will do, brother. We have 3 boxers, dad, mom and one from our last litter. Great dogs, sorry for your lossView attachment 161512

Left to right dad, mom and son last winter helping me with the firewood. Golden retriever in the background is 15 yrs old and still getting around
They look like awesome dogs! I love the boxer face!

You're a lucky man. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.