Acquired Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autorotate

Apr 16, 2014
Phila
Hello all,

I posted on here back in April and have finally been lucky enough to acquire my pellet stove. However, I have run into a slight dilemma.

I am very fortunate that a family friend was redoing their house and no longer had a place for their Magnum Baby Countryside. They gave me everything plus some that goes along with it. The stove is 7 years old and has seen some better days. In any event, I spoke with Magnum and provided them pictures. I am looking anywhere from $450-$750 to get the parts I need to get it running. Furthermore, it has quite a bit of surface rust on the outside and rust on the inside. The unit was putting out some soot as well. After speaking with Magnum they told me I "could" still have some internal problems after spending the $750.

Now my point....They have a customer replacement deal for a brand new Magnum Baby for right around $1200. I would also have to pay half of the freight shipping. Is it worth replacing the Magnum Baby for a new one at the price or is there something (different brand or model) much better out there? I like the old traditional look where it sits on the legs.

I have just redone my 2400 sq ft home. I DO NOT want any soot or mess from the system. I know a lot goes into the professional hooking it up correctly as well. If I am going to put out more money I want to make sure it's a good system for what I need. The hearth is in my downstairs living room and heating the downstairs in my main concern.

Looking for advice and suggestions. Thanks everyone!

IMG_2348.jpg IMG_2172.JPG

Thank you for the reply. 1 of the 2 temperature sensor switches inside the unit is bad. It needs a new fire pot for wood pellets, the control face cover, and igniter to work. Also, would have to be painted with a high temp paint to get rid of that rust. The company said it looked in "bad" shape so it made me a little concerned. That is from emailed pics though.

That's why I was wondering if this was a good unit and worth the repair. Like you said, I am sure a GREAT cleaning would help immensely as well.

CL in MN has several of the Babys for sale for less than $750 and handful of the regular for around $500. There has been a couple threads on how to get at the hidden passages. AES imported a boat load of them from China and had trouble. If it can't be easily got to running order I would look at used Harman or Quad for the $$$ that is easier to clean and get some parts for off ebay or Amazon. Some of the Whitfields are a great designed stove with lot of off the shelf parts and used parts available and are available for under $750. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.