Acrobatic Wildlife

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
These maneuvers took several days to perfect with many failed attempts. After the first couple of successful feedings, we applied non-stick cooking spray to the post and feeder lid. That slid things to a stop for a while, until the oil was gone. Funny thing is we’ve had this up a few weeks and not one bird but no snow yet either.

Attachments

• DSC06076er.jpg
    DSC06076er.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN0346er.jpg
    DSCN0346er.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC06078er.jpg
    DSC06078er.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 320
  • DSCN0311er.jpg
    DSCN0311er.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCN0317er.jpg
    DSCN0317er.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN0339er.jpg
    DSCN0339er.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 328
Great pics . . . I don't mind when the squirrels help clean up the seeds the messy birds accidentally on purposefully toss to the ground . . . but I hate seeing the buggers on top of the bird feeder as they can clean it out in less than a day.

We need to figure out something to go around the support post to keep them from climbing it. I was thinking of a scap piece of 6 inch conduit split to place around it.

NextEndeavor said:
We need to figure out something to go around the support post to keep them from climbing it. I was thinking of a scap piece of 6 inch conduit split to place around it.

I wrapped my post in two or three feet of sheet aluminum flashing . . . that worked pretty well . . . until the little buggers figured out how to do a flying leap from a nearby branch on to the top . . . and since this tree is a weeping cherry we planted in memory of my wife's father there is no easy way of removing any branches without making the tree look like some deranged arborist hacked it.

I just tap my squirrels with a BB gun. They've got their winter coats on - so it's just alittle reminder to bug off! I did accidently get one in the ear once and it spun around a bit leaving some blood on the deck and expired. The BB must have passed thru his little brain. My wife was having a play date with other mom's and kids at the time..... Mama was not very pleased with me that day........

They sell pepper coated seeds that the birds still eat - but repels the squirrels. I've never tried it.

I like when the squirrels are on the feeders and not paying attention and a big old hawk snatches them in a flash. I've seen this twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.