Acs anti creosote product

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krex1010

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2010
southeast pa
Just figured I'd pass this along. I've used acs product the last two years and have been pretty impressed. I use it once a day, 10-20 squirts all around the firebox on a reload, and my flue has never been cleaner. I've had much less crude in my flue and the stuff that is there is dry flaky and really easy to clean off. One bottle lasts me a whole heating season. Not sure if anyone else is using it but I figure I'd let everyone know about it.
P.s. I have nothing to do with the company lol

We've never seen a need for it. Last time we cleaned our chimney was 3 years ago. Won't get cleaned this year either as it really does not need it. The answer is burning good fuel then no additive is needed.

We've never seen a need for it. Last time we cleaned our chimney was 3 years ago. Won't get cleaned this year either as it really does not need it. The answer is burning good fuel then no additive is needed.

Wow! Never heard this one before sir.

I use it,but it's more out of habit than anything else . I don't get much of anything when I do sweep. I put a lot of it down to having the pipe running through the center of the house so that the flue gas stays warm so that nothing gets a chance to condense in the flue . But for the most part I put it down to what Dennis said "burning good fuel " .

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
whether it needs it or not, I give the flue a good cleaning every two months in the burning season. If for nothing else, just peace of mind. In a sick and twisted way, I kinda like cleaning the flue!

You wouldn't live up to your screen name other wise ! I predict that you will be the first Hearth member to make a post about wearing out an SS flue with a Poly brush ! :) :) :)

You wouldn't live up to your screen name other wise ! I predict that you will be the first Hearth member to make a post about wearing out an SS flue with a Poly brush ! :) :) :)
LMFAO......you're probably right!!

As long as it happens before the 25yr warrantee on that pipe runs out!!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That ACS worked for us back in the day of pre-EPA stove, clay flue and damp wood. It really did make the creosote more crispy and easier to remove, along with HOT fires and smoke dragon intakes left mostly open.
Wouldn't dare using it in our stove now, for fear of wrecking the cat combustor.

Hey, if it helps you sleep at night, then it's worth it. I follow the hearth.com creed: dry wood and proper firing techniques and I have very little, flaky creosote.

Reactions: ScotO
whether it needs it or not, I give the flue a good cleaning every two months in the burning season. If for nothing else, just peace of mind. In a sick and twisted way, I kinda like cleaning the flue!

I like it too actually for the same reason - peace of mind. I only clean it once a year though, usually in the summer. I check the flue with a mirror every week though, even though in 12 years it has never had any blockages. Again, peace of mind.

Reactions: ScotO
I know that a lot of people here burn extremely well seasoned wood and see very little build up in their chimneys, but I know a lot of people can't store more than a year or twos worth of wood and some people burn marginal wood every year, the heads up on the acs product was geared more towards the people who don't always burn perfect wood. A friend of mine has a chimney service and he swears that it makes a big difference, and even though I season all my wood for a year plus, it's nice to be able to run a brush up the flue one time and have it be clean.

I was given some spray stuff in a bottle by a local woodstove shop . . . used it a few times . . . but like BS and Scotty I a) burn dry wood, b) burn at the right temps and c) inspect and clean my chimney religiously every month whether it needs it or not (mostly because in my business it would be very bad to have a chimney fire) . . .

My own take . . . it may work . . . it doesn't hurt . . . but if folks are doing the right thing with good wood, the right temps and cleaning their chimney anyways it is not necessary.

Which reminds me . . . remember that Australian company Smart Burn -- someone posted a thread on this awhile back . . . apparently they saw my TV interview about chimney fires and they sent me two free samples of their product. I gave one away to a co-worker. If anyone wants the second sample PM me with your mailing address and I'll send it to ya -- I figure this may be of most benefit to either a) a member running a smoke dragon or b) a member who has less than desirable wood. I honestly don't plan to use this in my own wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.