Actual Beech MC with meter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tocramed

Sep 30, 2015
WI
I have a cord of beech that was, I thought, around 20-22% MC when I bought and stacked it in September. It has been stacked on pallets and just top covered since. Yesterday I pulled a load and brought it inside to warm up. I split one of the larger pieces today and checked the fresh face in the middle with a Dr. Meter MD912. 27% at 70^F. That sucks. So I put it out in the garage. I just checked is again (2 hours later) and it is 19% at 50^F.

The MD912 is supposed to have an auto temp correction feature, so now I am not sure what to believe. Any thoughts on how I can get a little better accuracy out of this? I can't imagine the fresh split face of the wood dropped 8% in 2 hours.

I put three big splits in with some other dry wood (16%) just to see how it goes.

What is the MC of one of those pieces in the garage? Re-split just before you measure it.

What is the MC of one of those pieces in the garage? Re-split just before you measure it.

I did not split the wood a second time after it sat in the garage for a bit. I will try that.

Do you have it set on 3 ? There are 4 settings

It is set on 3.

It seemed to burn fine last night. A few pops right after loading it, but it didn't seem too bad. I am sure it would be different if I loaded it full.

I should clarify on the temp. The temps I mention above are taken from the surface of the wood with an IR thermometer. Although I did take the second moisture reading while out in the garage which was around 40^F.

I did not split the wood a second time after it sat in the garage for a bit. I will try that.

I have a cord of beech that was, I thought, around 20-22% MC when I bought and stacked it in September. It has been stacked on pallets and just top covered since. Yesterday I pulled a load and brought it inside to warm up. I split one of the larger pieces today and checked the fresh face in the middle with a Dr. Meter MD912. 27% at 70^F. That sucks. So I put it out in the garage. I just checked is again (2 hours later) and it is 19% at 50^F.

The MD912 is supposed to have an auto temp correction feature, so now I am not sure what to believe. Any thoughts on how I can get a little better accuracy out of this? I can't imagine the fresh split face of the wood dropped 8% in 2 hours.

I put three big splits in with some other dry wood (16%) just to see how it goes.

I tried this test again the same way as explained above.

This was using the same thermometer and checking the surface temp of the fresh split. This time I did re-split after it sat in the garage for a bit and dropped to about ~50F. The internal temp was a little higher, but I got the same results.

I presume the meter needs to be at the same temperature as the wood for the auto-temp compensation feature to work? If the wood is cold, but the meter is indoor temp; I presume it will still be off.