Actual heat readings around the stove, including a shield wall.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Playing around with the laser thermometer and took some readings I found interesting. Some that may answer questions for how hot things get.

The stove is an NC30 positioned 45 degrees to a perimeter masonary wall. Closest corner is 3 inches from the wall. I have built a heat shield wall to protect an interior wall and another to deflect heat off a wood veneer french door. The stove side of the heat shield wall was 190, and the door side was 125. The wall is 2x3 steel stud with full coverage on the stove side of hardibacker or hardiboard. The door side of that wall is the same material with a 2 inch open space top and bottom to allow cooling via air flow. It seems to work well based on the difference between the sides. The cement floor beneath and around the stove was 127. The masonary block wall rang up at 280 degrees. The stove was in coal burn-down mode after running normally all day.

190 seems pretty hot. Generally you do not want anything combustible so warm that you can't hold your hand on it. The block? Who cares. lol

Heat shield is a non-combustible. That setup is used on top of combustibles to reduce clearance. The comparison of both sides shows just how much heat that system can deflect/reduce.

I guess that answers the question of whether the stove is putting off some heat.

Referring to my battle with the 30? If so, it has done the job and I have learned some techniques to help. My mind is not set on the ability of the stove yet though. The winter has been too mild for the test I am concerned about. Looks like the test won't come this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.