Actually let the stove go out tonight. To warm to burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molly1414

Nov 20, 2007
Nevada County Foothills
Late Dec and its been 65 degrees here all week . Even though it gets down to 32 at night the solar gain has been keeping our house warm late into the evening. Its 70 in my house right now at 7:30pm with no stove or heat running. We had a few weeks of very cold temps and snow here but that has passed and it feels more like shoulder season then middle of winter. Not a drop of rain to be seen either. CA is going to be hurting if we don't see some rain in the next few weeks. Even the snow that fell a few weeks ago was so dry you couldn't make a snow ball with it.

Let the stove go out Sat as it was too warm upstairs but started the fire in the evening so it was warm for the Mrs. to wrap some gifts. Let it go out and kept it out until about 4pm today. There was an area in my local weather spectrum that had a 25-30 degree high temp differential within 25-30 miles!

In all, I was happy for the break in the weather. We've had the ground white for weeks now but will wind up without snow for Christmas, but, I was able to get the gutters cleaned an extra time and ran the brush down through the chimney just for the heck of it w/out having to slip on snow..... That said, this better end as I like frozen ground and am sick of mud already! I'd rather burn the wood!

Never hurts to practice new ways at burning in the shoulder season.

pen

Last edited:
I let mine go out Sunday because it was 61 degrees, 10 miles away it was 35, sort of the same situation as in Pen's area, last night the temp dropped 20 degrees in 4 hours so I threw some kindling in and got it going again, cold weather's back and not going anywhere soon.

Our stove has been out for a couple days now. Today's high was 50F. Will start it again tomorrow morning now that a cold front has come thru.

I took the opportunity to clean the stove on a warm day in New England when the temperature reached 60F. After cleaning it, I fired it back up and now it's in the 30's again.

Although we did not get the high temperatures that some did we still had 2 nights when we did not have a fire going. Surely was needed today and will tonight. Supposed to be around zero again tonight. That will for sure bring in a real cool Yule.

Status
Not open for further replies.