adapt from Ameri-tec 8 HS to standard twist lock class A?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillio

Dec 14, 2014
Minnesota
Hello,

I have a question for any chimney experts out there. The insert that is in our family room is drafting really poorly until it is up temp. The insert is in a single level family room, and the chimney is probably only 15 or 20 feet. I have a source of 3" regular class a pipe, but when I went up on the roof to look at what is currently there, it is stamped Ameri Tec 8 HS, and is quite a bit different than the class a pipe I have used before as this is air insulated and the connections are not compatible.. Is there any sort of adapter to convert between the two, or should I just not bother and try to buy more of the Ameri Tec?

I assume you mean 6"?
There is no way to connect two different brands of pipe. Especially air cooled to solid pack insulated pipe. You need to change it all out, or find more of what you have.
Is this a fireplace insert? Or an open fireplace? These zero clearance fireplaces are often mistakenly called an insert.

it's an insert. It has sealed doors and air tubes inside. I have no idea the brand since it was here when we bought the house. And no, it is is 8", if it were 6" I'm sure it would probably draft a lot better.

Your post said you had access to 3" class a pipe. ?
Do you know if it's an all masonry fireplace? With that metal chimney it sounds like a pre-fab fireplace. If that's the case you have a potentially unsafe setup. Can you post a picture of it?

A fireplace insert should have a masonry chimney with a stainless steel liner inside of it, not chimney pipe. Sounds more like a zero clearance fireplace. Could you post a picture?

my bad, it's a 3' section of 8" class A.

It must be a zero clearance setup, as the wall was built around the unit and it sticks out the back of the house.

Here are a couple photos.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 126
  • fireplace1.jpg
    fireplace1.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 132
Correct, that is not an insert, it's a zero-clearance fireplace or ZC. I'm wondering if that is a Kozy 231ZC?

You will need to match the brand of pipe. The connection is not compatible across other brands of pipe. How much chimney is currently on the fireplace?

probably only 12 or 15 feet. It's a single level home and the chimney stops 3' above the roof line as required by code. It drafts terrible as you can probably imagine!

Should draft reasonably with 12-15ft. Minimum requirement is 10ft. if this is a 231ZC. You want 8" for the size of that firebox.
Did you check the cap screen for any sign of clogging while up there?

It is a 231. It should breath pretty easy since its an EPA exempt model. I've installed a few of them, seems like a nice unit.

Are you opening the pipe damper before you open the door?

How dry is the wood? Do you start the fire with the doors open? Does opening a window close to the fireplace help draft?

yea it's not clogged at all. I also checked the air intake screen outside. I was just wanting to add another 3' to it to see if it would draft any better. Having to leave the door open for a half hour to get the fire to take is getting old. Once the door is left open for a half hour or so, it takes right off. Wood is a mix of oak, birch, and maple that has been split and stacked for about 3 years.

I'll return the 1 section of class A that I have and order the Ameri-tec stuff and give that a try as well.

Thanks for the info on what it actually is. In the picture you can see I have the chimney damper wide open, and the air is slightly choked off (I loaded it up and went to bed shortly after). Normally the lower lever is straight up.

What happens if you shut the door? Does it smoke out, or just smolder?

the fire goes out. I guess I thought it wasn't drafting very well because until the fire establishes itself, it seems like the firebox is full of smoke and like it's not drafting well.

Status
Not open for further replies.