Add another cord of oak to the pile!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I split a cord of oak today. Been cut to 16 inchs for a year and a half, I was amazed how much it actually had dried. I think it will easily be ready by winter...

That's a great feeling. I'm finding I am enjoying taking nibbles at our rounds. Normally I only get about 1/2 cord done at a whack. But it will get all done soon.

BeGreen, I went to a splitter a few years ago. Now its an hour here and an hour there. The yields are much greater!!! Today is the day I stack.

I have been nibbling around too. An hour here and an hour there. Anxious to get to the point where I can say I'm done with wood until fall or thereafter. Hot humid weather, two yards to keep mowed, staining a deck, gutter work, waxing 4 vehicles on and on and on. All the type of jobs that take precedent in the summer. Of course unless there is summer storms and necessary yard cleanup. Cross fingers on that one. Tony

Its hard for me to find a solid hour to split wood, so I do it mostly five minutes here, 20 minutes there, etc. I keep the maul near the stacked rounds, and it eventually gets done. I like the splitting. Chainsawing the logs into 16 inch lengths is the part I don't generally look forward to, but I do enough to keep a few rounds on hand in case I feel like splitting. Just sawed up about 50 rounds this morning, so I have something to split the rest of the week. Each round is going to take three or four splits, since they are 12 or 14 inch diameter rounds. maybe that will be more than a week's worth, since there are little league practices and games, the garden to plant, grass to mow...

OK, today I edged and mulched. Only about 7 more days to go to get the yard into shape :eek:hh: I will probably be out there tomorrow night in the rain stacking...

Status
Not open for further replies.